The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Vorwerk VK120 Home Cleaning System - Stripdown and Refurb!  (Read 29453 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Vorwerk VK120 Home Cleaning System - Stripdown and Refurb!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 11:58:54 pm »
The baseplate seal is removed

ila_rendered

That's the head done! I forgot I took pics of this, this is the bag retaining clip taken off the bag holder after I so confidently said about 2 hours ago that it was already done!

ila_rendered

Then it was all washed, dried and polished and ready for re-assembly!

ila_rendered

But that's enough writing for tonight, we shall pick this up another day, as I have to go to bed, however, we are about 30% of the way through this! Goodnight for now.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 11:13:00 pm »
Let's have a few more posts on this!

So with everything washed and polished, it's time for re-assembly, and for reasons I cannot remember now, I started with the bag holder...

ila_rendered

The rubber one way flap goes on

ila_rendered

Then the spring for the bag holder clip

ila_rendered

And the clip itself

ila_rendered

With a fresh bag to finish it off!

ila_rendered

Floortool now!

ila_rendered

Baseplate deal on

ila_rendered

Front bumper on

ila_rendered

mmm bumpery

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 11:21:25 pm »
End caps on

ila_rendered

I attached the now clean rubber sealing strips to the metal frame for the adjustment mechanism

ila_rendered

It sits here

ila_rendered

The lever that makes the brushroll rotate clips onto the inside of the end cap

ila_rendered

And the bracket that joins it to the external lever slips through the hole

ila_rendered

Which gets screwed on as shown

ila_rendered

Rear wheels are refitted

Time to do some wiring now, the locking spring is fitted

ila_rendered

Feed the wiring through the holes

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 11:27:54 pm »
And all hidden up again

ila_rendered

Yellow cable sleeve goes on

ila_rendered

Motor now. the blue end cap goes on

ila_rendered

Then the armature and end cage can be fitted

ila_rendered

and the other end cap too

ila_rendered

The belt spindle was cleaned up on the wire wheel and refitted nicely

ila_rendered

Carbon brushes refitted

ila_rendered

And the motor is whole again!

ila_rendered

And ca be refitted

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 11:36:23 pm »
The PCB gets fitted now

ila_rendered

This shows the wire routing and the clips that hold the neck in place

ila_rendered

Time to fit the picture behind its frame

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

There we go!

The baseplate front gets screwed on now

ila_rendered

Brushroll gets found

ila_rendered

and fitted!

ila_rendered

With the belt fitted and the baseplate done up, the ET31 head is finished!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 08:56:36 pm »
Well, let's carry this on a bit then! We are back to the main motor now, and the locking flap that holds the outer shell onto the whole machine goes on first

ila_rendered

It simply clicks back onto it's locating stubs

ila_rendered

Not much I can do with the motor now, although I do now have another one, so that's a little job for another day (ha!)

ila_rendered

So I lobbed some WD40 over the bearings (which is an acceptable bodge, it's thin enough to seep into the bearing and excite the dried out grease and quieten things down until a proper repair can be carried out later) and fitted the fancase cover

ila_rendered

Air chamber/noise suppression thing now, and a nice piece of generic filter material was cut badly to size

ila_rendered

And fitted and clipped on, along with the rubber gasket to seal the whole thing into the outer housing

ila_rendered

On the outer housing, whilst washing I uncovered air holes that have probably been blocked up for years!

ila_rendered

Trigger mechanism gasket fitted

ila_rendered

And the securing cover clipped on

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 09:00:59 pm »
The adjustment peg is clipped and screwed in now

ila_rendered

It's little spring in place

ila_rendered

The switch itself goes in next

ila_rendered

Then the whole lot can be bought together and fitted

ila_rendered

to the motor housing

ila_rendered

Outer shell now, the button spring plate is slid on

ila_rendered

All the various plugs can be re-made

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:29 pm »
This job was MUCH nicer without the wires being covered in carbon dust!

ila_rendered

The bulbs for the warning systems were fed through the bag unlock button

ila_rendered

And into the yellow blank, with the orange lens clipped over the top

ila_rendered

The 2 parts were held together

ila_rendered

And slid into place

ila_rendered

The wiring comes through this little slot here

ila_rendered

And all looks like a bit of a mess until you start channeling it around where it needs to go

ila_rendered

The motor can be dropped back in and plugged in now

ila_rendered

And the top clipped back on, hiding everything nicely again!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 09:48:09 pm »
The outer shell was re-fitted now, however I did not fit the rubber holder/button cover to release the floor tool as I have another motor to fit, the outer shell stays on perfectly fine without it and the tools can be released perfectly fine too, I'll just be careful not to tear the good one that's with the other motor (it's a whole assembly, so I might cut the outer shell off and peel it away to save damaging it!)

ila_rendered

The top cover/bag mating part can be refitted now. For some reason, there was a massive burn mark around the bag fill tube hole, no idea why as there's no damage anywhere else...

ila_rendered

Much better!

ila_rendered

The trim piece for the bag is clipped back on

ila_rendered

The new bag can be slid in

ila_rendered

And the bag fitted

ila_rendered

And with that, the main machine and one of the floor heads is done! Only all this to go now!  :D

ila_rendered

We'll start with the now fully working but VERY worn and baggy ET340 head!

ila_rendered

Flipping it underneath, you'll notice the factory protection for the base plate has never been taken off, which will reveal good things later!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 10:00:49 pm »
The rear wheels have to come out, and I removed their reinforcing metal shells too. Apparently early versions of this head had a flaw where the wheel axle wore through the chassis, so these shells were fitted on later heads such as mine.

ila_rendered

Also 2 screws sit under there, but first it's off with the base plate

ila_rendered

Back over to the top now, and the big white part flips up to be able to change the brushes with no tools. Using a small flat tool though, pop the 4 big tabs up out of their locking slot

ila_rendered

And remove it from the floor head

ila_rendered

Remove the brushes next

ila_rendered

And the reinforcing bits of wire which just pull out ALA Sebo

ila_rendered

Back to the hidden screws

ila_rendered

Hoik those out and the top cover comes off

ila_rendered

This bar locks the white cover down and pops out of it's location

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:02 pm »
The reset switch for the head pops out of the cover

ila_rendered

As does the indicator light lens

ila_rendered

Into the bowels of the thing we go!

ila_rendered

First out is this top cover part that runs down the middle and presumably holds the motor and cog assembly in place

ila_rendered

This blue clip holds both the internal hose down, and the wiring that runs across the middle of the head.

ila_rendered

Speaking of the wiring, we have a PCB with black coming in and red going out. Unplug it all!

ila_rendered

With the black wires removed the neck can be removed now, which is made all the more easier by the white securing clips being very broken on this head

ila_rendered

I undid the circlip and the internal hose came off as well, maybe that blue clip was just to hold the wires in check?

ila_rendered

Onto the motor now, and there's a clamp at the far end which in real life is not so fuzzy...

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
And unscrews with ease!

ila_rendered

Another middle part comes out of the top of the brushroll housing...

ila_rendered

And the whole motor and cog assembly can be lifted out of the head chassis, the green chap laying on the floor being the spacer/locating part that sits under the end clamp

ila_rendered

In-house made switch gear, nice! I wonder if their current machines still have that?

ila_rendered

Underneath the head, this blanking plate pops out

ila_rendered

These are my locking clips, as you can see 2 side of each is snapped off, which causes the head to flop around alot, and make some very scary noises when it flops forward... The only way to get better ones is with a whole other head though...

ila_rendered

This part here covers the internal bits that show when the head is reclined about, and pops off it's locating lugs

ila_rendered

Under there sits a part with 2 screws. Remove those screws and the whole thing comes apart, you can see the wear from nearly 30 years of use!

ila_rendered

This little chap here is what centers the head when it's upright. Needless to say it doesn't really do anything nowadays, you can just about feel it locate then immediately waft out again!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 10:15:09 pm »
To remove the wiring, we need to pop the holder up and out of the connector like so, but as you push up from below, push down on the locking button so it passes under the outer housing!

ila_rendered

And eventually you get this!

ila_rendered

Which looks very tidy

ila_rendered

Now we can move back to the motor, and if it hasn't already fallen off like mine did, remove the green locating block from the end of the motor

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 10:21:08 pm »
Whoops, hit post by accident there a bit!

This slightly pointless part covers a screw around the center of the brushroll motor

ila_rendered

Which needs to be removed

ila_rendered

What follows is 20 minutes of hand shredding pulling and twisting to separate the motor from the drive assembly!

ila_rendered

In which the white arm that pushes a button to warn of incorrect adjustment and bops the light on, the square locating bracket, cog assembly and motor are separated in one fluid* motion!

The sensitivity of the button pushing arm can be adjusted with this screw, which I left alone for now as it worked fine!

ila_rendered

Onto the motor now

ila_rendered

The carbon brushes and feed wires can be removed

ila_rendered

Then 2 long thin bolts separate the 3 parts of the motor

ila_rendered

I tried very hard to get this green cover off, but could not do it as other bits started to give first, so I spent a while picking all the fluff from the cooling fan beneath it

ila_rendered

Although did manage to get the belt cog off, which I had hoped would release the cover, but no

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 10:27:18 pm »
Powerhead done, time to move onto the dry cleaning head, the VTF731, a massive clunky old lump!

ila_rendered

This was quite clean actually when I got it, but I have been using it, will pop the DC04 Zorbster VS Vorwerk Kobosan video up in a bit, but it was covered in powder

ila_rendered

However I then really struggled to get into the thing! There is a screw at the back under the connecting part

ila_rendered

A screw under the top plate which annoyingly cracked as I tried to remove it

ila_rendered

But still nothing

ila_rendered

So, I unclipped the front sponge roller cover from the middle rubber sleeve to see where that led to

ila_rendered

And popped the bits off that that were removeable

ila_rendered

Mmmm, nothing under here.

ila_rendered

I fiddled around for a bit, then suddenly as I was turning it over, the cover that we removed the first screw from suddenly flipped out! And there's our last screws!

ila_rendered

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram