The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Purepower U3480 Motor Reassembly Question  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Martfoxy

Hoover Purepower U3480 Motor Reassembly Question
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:06:43 pm »
I am reassembling the motor for this Hoover and wasn't sure where the star shaped washer goes. Does it go behind the fan?
Also having trouble getting the bearing back into the plastic housing. Any advice on this?
Thank you

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Purepower U3480 Motor Reassembly Question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:12:12 pm »
Oh dear, I hope you took detailed pictures of where all the washers go for the fan assembly as they have to go in the right order to space everything out correctly!

The bearing will be a tight fit but should just push into the housing, make sure the plastic is clean where it goes so it does not bind up. One trick is to put the bearing on the armature and use that to push it into place, then remove the armature, but don't push too hard/hit it too hard as youll smash the plastic fancase.

Star shaped washer, might need a picture of that as it could be the bearing retaining spring, or is it a small thin locking washer that goes under the fan nut to stop it spinning off?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Martfoxy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Yes should have been more careful to note/photograph washers etc when I took the motor apart. Less haste more speed!

I have attached a photo of the washer.

I think the motor may be no good anyway as I have cleaned the commutator and measured the resistance between segments most are the same but a couple are over 1k resistance.

Originally the motor stopped and made a burning smell.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:26:32 pm »
Oh that washer! That sits (if I recall correctly) above the very top bearing, and provides a bit of tension incase the armature is off balance! Not utterly mission critical if you've got it together by now though, as long as the motor spins nice and smoothly by hand itll be alright

However you do describe the A1 symptom of a burnt out motor! U3480 sounds like a later one, is it 1300w or higher per chance? They use Amtek motors, which are renowned for burning out. Sadly I think a DC04 one is too different I think, although I might be wrong, but having never tried it'll be an expensive gamble if it doesnt! Same with the Turbopower 2, their motors were different, although I wouldn't be fully surprised if they do fit, but itll cost you a turbopower 2 to find out!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Martfoxy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:50 am »
Thanks for your reply and the information on that washer - it did seem to fall out from inside so that explains it. It says its a 1500W. Yes Ametek on the motor.

I have now managed to get a new motor of the correct type from ebay and all is working ok.

Thanks again.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:05:42 pm »
Wow that was lucky, nice one! Do like a good Purepower, even though this would be a later one. Possibly made in the UK still by this point though! Does it have the Activator brushroll or the later type bristles only?

Offline Martfoxy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:48 pm »
Yes the motor was only £12+£2.95 postage and brand new.
It has got a brush roller. Unfortunately made in PRC.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 10:17:17 pm »
Bargain, can't complain at that then!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration