The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC40 MK2 (Erp) - Step by Step Stripdown, Refurb and Re-assembly!  (Read 48555 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
A friend obtained me this from an abandoned house (he's a surveyor) and bought it round. A deal was struck that once it was refurbished and sold, we would get a massive fatty fatty fat fat curry in and some beers. So, let's see what we have:

Not a valid youtube URL
I'm a man with a strong stomach, but even this made me feel  :sick0012:

So let's fix that!

First things first, the hose and filters went in the washing machine, the hose needing 3 goes (including one 90 degree wash with the towels) to get it clean! TBH a new hose would have cost less than the water and electric, but meh, man maths!

Wand off, and the tool latch button pops off. This usually gets gummed up with fluff and general crap

ila_rendered

The button has a little spring underneath it

ila_rendered

If you loose this, a cut down biro spring works fine! Next, remove the top part of the chassis/the top handle by pushing this button in and pulling it up

ila_rendered

The top flap and handle cover is removed by popping this little tab out under here

ila_rendered

And lifting the top cover off. The flap can then be popped out from the cover itself

ila_rendered

Time to move down! Remove the bin

ila_rendered

Aha, it's credentials!

ila_rendered

I always thought ERP was the first EU rules change for motor wattage, hence why this is 700w and not 1300w, and the re-designed brushroll housing to make up for the lack of watts, however Tayyab informed me that this is not always the case (I have a DC54 Erp with a 1300w motor...) Hopefully he can come along and clarify it for us!

Up behind the switch, we have 2 screws and 2 tabs.

ila_rendered

Remove and release all of those and the switch housing comes off.

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson DC40 MK2 (Erp) - Step by Step Stripdown, Refurb and Re-assembly!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 07:44:43 pm »
ila_rendered

The power button with its spring lifts out, as does the brushroll on/off switch

ila_rendered

This sprung part for the bin does not easily come off, nor does it need to

ila_rendered

This is the wiring and switches

ila_rendered

all of it needs to be unplugged and removed, leaving just the spinal wire, as the mains cable comes off at this stage

ila_rendered

Next, remove the brushroll housing from the main cleaner

ila_rendered

Remove the filter side ball shell, and say hello to my little slug friend...

ila_rendered

Don't do this usually, but for the purposes of this thread, I removed the blue cap from the spinny part

ila_rendered

On the inside of the shell, a clear plastic cap holds the thread to the inside

ila_rendered

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 07:53:10 pm »
The other parts push out from the inside

ila_rendered

This bearing sits inside the whole shebang, although did not come out easily and I didnt want to break the shell, so left it in. Probably wont be many years before greasing this will be as common as greasing DC04 brushroll bearings, or the main ball bearing on a DC25

ila_rendered

Onto the other ball shell. This glamour cap twists 1/4 turn to release, a pair of thin nosed pliers will do it, or a firm whack with a small screwdriver if you don't mind dinking the plastic

ila_rendered

With a large flatblade screwdriver, unscrew the black threaded nut

ila_rendered

And on this side, the clear washer holds everything in from the inside

ila_rendered

The black nut then pushes out of the bearing

ila_rendered

Back to normal things that normal* people would be doing, unscrew the 2 screws underneath the top outer shell cover

ila_rendered

Then recline the machine fully flat and push the cover down and pull it off as you go, it rides in 2 channels

ila_rendered

As you can see, it rides smoothly...

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:05:57 pm »
The HORRIBLE yolk loom can come off now, pop out the retaining clip that carries the wire up and down as the machine reclines and stands up, the clip pulls off and splits in 2

ila_rendered

And is held at the top by this rubber bung which pushes inwards with a screwdriver

ila_rendered

With the wiring released, the socket for the powerhead can be lifted out of where it lives

ila_rendered

Next, flip the machine over so the exhaust side is visible, and remove the 3 screws that hold it on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

On the other side, unscrew the white securing shell

ila_rendered

And lift it off

ila_rendered

Over to the other side again, and with the rear wheels in the correct position, 3 screws will be visible. Have those out

ila_rendered

With that off, the yolk assembly can be lifted off, although the internal hose will hold onto it yet

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »
Simply pop the locking tab out to release the hose. Next, the clear cog that moves the rear wheels in time with the reclining action can be unscrewed

ila_rendered

Then the plastic tab that locks into the brushroll housing and stops the machine falling sideways when upright pops out, along with its spring

ila_rendered

Under the yolk assembly, usually hidden by the ball shells  are 2 metal wheels that aid the shells to always rotate smoothly, these pop out

ila_rendered

The thread for the post motor filter shell has 2 washers, the same as the other side, but to stop these falling off when the ball shell is removed, they are held in with a plastic stopper, which unscrews

ila_rendered

And with that, the yolk assembly is stripped! The white part to the left seems pressed on, and will be damaged if removed, so I leave it alone.

ila_rendered

We can move back to the main machine

ila_rendered

And remove the screws that hold the PCB cover on

ila_rendered

The PCB sits in the exhaust air flow, so it was a little bit surprising to see all the fluff built up around it!

ila_rendered

We can start unplugging things now, starting with the yolk loom itself

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 08:35:51 pm »
Just switched to a thinkpad with a thinklight as it's getting dark and I cant be bothered to get up and put the light on!

Anyway, whilst we hold the yolk socket in our hands, we can take note of the wiring orientation

ila_rendered

Open the flap that locks the terminals into place

ila_rendered

And remove the wires! Next to be unplugged are the wires leading to the switch that shuts the brushroll off when the machine is upright

ila_rendered

Then remove the other wires which provide the power, and the wires that run to the motor! The PCB should unscrew, but I got a quarter of a turn in and the threaded standoff snapped right off... We'll glue that on later!

ila_rendered

Because next, we need to remove the main suction channel that goes from the motor. There are screws here

ila_rendered

and one this side

ila_rendered

and 2 here

ila_rendered

Then the whole assembly lifts off!

ila_rendered

Signs of water where it shouldn't be in the past...

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 08:43:07 pm »
The bin seal is removed from the suction inlet and outlet

ila_rendered

The release valve can be removed now by rotating the cap slightly and pulling it off, and removing all the bits inside

ila_rendered

On the motor housing, we can see the cam that activates the brushroll cutoff switch

ila_rendered

It and its spring lifts off

ila_rendered

Then the switch itself can be removed

ila_rendered

Now we can start on the rear wheels. This spring is what helps the wheels flip up and down as needed

ila_rendered

Remove the screw with the big washer that fixes it to the motor housing, then the wheels can be removed from the chassis

ila_rendered

The flap to enable the user to check the tiny air paths for blockages pops off

ila_rendered

Then the screw partially hidden by it can be removed

ila_rendered                         

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 08:48:51 pm »
Tucked under the spinal wire on the side is another screw

ila_rendered

and one last screw sits at the back underneath the lower cord hook, which just lifts out to reveal. Then the spine can come off the lower chassis

ila_rendered

Down to the motor!

ila_rendered

The changeover valve needs to come out next, and it starts with this little bracket that holds the hose in place on one end

ila_rendered

Then remove the screw that sits the other side

ila_rendered

Then, remove this spring from the machine, or undo the 2 screws holding the plate the spring clips to and leave the plastic attached

ila_rendered

Then pull the securing cage out of the machine

ila_rendered

The hose and top pivot can be withdrawn now

ila_rendered

the other end of the internal hose lifts out of its locating slot

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 08:57:16 pm »
Now we can remove the 2 screws and release the 2 clips that hold the motor cover in place

ila_rendered

To remove the motor, first remove the carbon brush that you can see, take this screw out

ila_rendered

Then pull the carbon brush assembly off. The motor will then twist enough to come out of the housing, pull the wires through the housing as you go

ila_rendered

This black box of tricks contains the locking mechanism for the rear wheels, it's this you hear making the crack sound as it lets go when you push the machine down to flip the rear wheels up!

ila_rendered

The cover comes off

ila_rendered

Then the spring and inner part lift out. This white cam is all thats left!

ila_rendered

And the motor housing is stripped! Talking of the motor, it bloody stunk, the fan was full of all sorts of crap, so I knocked the case off

ila_rendered

And stripped the top end down, including the white bit and washed them!

ila_rendered

Now we can move onto the brushroll housing!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 09:40:14 pm »
Which is utterly disgusting

ila_rendered

So we open the baseplate and undo the screws holding it onto the main housing

ila_rendered

And it separates from the brushroll housing

ila_rendered

TBH this bit is, apart from the motor the ONLY difference between a Mk1 and a Mk2 I think, the ERP bit of the brushroll housing. The red slider knob lifts off

ila_rendered

Then the blue sealing strip lifts out of it's 3 securing latches

ila_rendered

This black bar is what moves the blue squegee up and down as the red slider is slid, it does come out, although is a bit fiddly. Worth it though so you can flush all the grit out that causes this mechanism to jam up

ila_rendered

The stupid EU rules bodge velour strips are looking pretty knackered

ila_rendered

And the floating head isn't floating very well due to all the crap built up inside the rubber part (as usual)

ila_rendered

I scraped it all out, and moved onto unscrewing the brushroll

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »
Delightful

ila_rendered

The centre screw comes out, and this allows the end caps to be removed from the brushrolls

ila_rendered

Which were nice and clean... Next the brushroll cogs need to be removed to allow a step later to happen more smoothly

ila_rendered

More red hair! This stuff is everywhere

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Removing the screws from inside the housing, the suction channel lifts out, once you break it free from the crust that sticks it down

ila_rendered

Now, flip it over and undo all the screws that hold the motor cover on

ila_rendered

And lift out the motor! (the brushroll cogs need to be removed already to do this!)

ila_rendered

I wonder what the failure rate of these will be as they get older and are run in this state...

Next the wiring loom lifts out of the clear head

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 09:53:14 pm »
The plug simply pops out of the housing

ila_rendered

Which leaves the brushroll housing chassis looking vomit-tastic, and ready to be lobbed in a heavy G101 solution to soak for a few hours!

ila_rendered

But not after sorting more of the blasted hair out, this rear wheel was jammed ruddy solid

ila_rendered

Picking at it did nothing

ila_rendered

So with a small centre punch and a hammer I knocked the pin through and cleared it properly

ila_rendered

The motor comes off the securing part

ila_rendered

I removed the lid from the belt guard

ila_rendered

separated the 2 parts

ila_rendered

Which uncovered yet more bloody red hair jamming the centre wheel!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 09:57:35 pm »
Much nicer!

ila_rendered

I removed the brushroll drive cog from the centre housing

ila_rendered

And removed the bit that holds the belt guard assembly onto the motor from the motor itself

ila_rendered

Onto the cyclone now, and we all know this isn't going to be pretty don't we...

ila_rendered

It is empty, that's just a tidemark... Flap open...

ila_rendered

I'd stopped feeling  :sick0012: by this stage and was mostly  :biglaugh: :biglaugh:. Probably the fumes...

Flap off and seals removed

ila_rendered

I had to scrape most of this off for my own sanity and plumbing

ila_rendered

Bin flap release rod off

ila_rendered

And onto the cyclone itself

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 10:01:07 pm »
Top handle off

ila_rendered

Red lever and filter cap popped off

ila_rendered

Top bin seal off

ila_rendered

Shroud and bottom cones popped off

ila_rendered

Shroud removed from the inner assembly

ila_rendered

It was stuck well! I'd stopped thinking if this was poo or sick by now, it smelt like both!

ila_rendered

Infact I was actually pleased to see our old friend plaster dust! Always know where you stand with safe boring old plaster dust!

ila_rendered

Cyclone cone tip seal now, it's under here somewhere...

ila_rendered

Here it comes

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 10:02:59 pm »
And once off, I could get to the screws holding the top part together, so apart it fell!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And that was that! Quite alot of this had a night and day soaking in G101, agitated every now and again when I walked past and saw it had settled, then it was all washed, some bits washed again, dried, polished and laid out ready for reassembly!

Which you will see another day, when we put this machine back together!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration