The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC40 MK2 (Erp) - Step by Step Stripdown, Refurb and Re-assembly!  (Read 1566 times)

Offline bluebumble485

Re: Dyson DC40 MK2 (Erp) - Step by Step Stripdown, Refurb and Re-assembly!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
do you find vacuuming the side paper filter is enough I put new or pressure wash mine just wondered if I am working to hard on them lol ,did one about 4 years ago when new I have forgot tbh till I saw this I should do this to remind me ,I have about 4 that brushbar don't turn to do ,or joblot maybe the answer

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
No, TBH, vacuuming it off doesn't do much I find as all the fluff packs into the edges... I either wash them if their not too stained or just fit new, I suppose due to the age of them, the ones I've had have never been too stained yet. I did once spend time picking all the fluff out of the edges and then washed it, which worked OK but was borderline as to whether it was worth it or not!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline vegi

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
Hi, great Stripdown.

My Dyson DC40 suffering the same problem with plaster dust (Thanks builder!). All the way through the entire system and now on the motor by the sound of it as its making a loud squealing when on, still sucks but just much noisier all of a sudden. Would taking it apart and cleaning it out get rid of the noise, or am I gonna need to put a new motor in do you think? Apparently it has dried out bearings in the motor.

Thanks

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
The easiest way to check is to remove the post motor filter and cyclone and turn it on, has the noise gone?

The noise is usually caused by the rubber seals not being quite as sealing as they should be, so the air escapes! Removing the suction will soon tell you if it's the motor or not
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline vegi

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Yep noise is still there after they're both out. Dyson quoted me £140 to fix it as plaster dust isn't allowed. New motor then or is it possible to re-lubricate the current motor?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
Ah, then motor it is!

It is possible to drip some oil onto the bearings and hope that cures it:

The top bearing is easy as that's at the top of the motor, simply stand the motor on the fancase and stick a good few drips of 3-in-1 oil on and let it soak in.

The fancase bearing isn't as easy, and involves removing the fancase, undoing the fan nut, removing the nut, washer, fan, washer and spacer ring, then unscrewing the fancase back cover, then you can get at the fancase bearing in the same way. Or see if Mvacs have a good, used motor, TBH a brand new motor probably doesn't cost £140....

You also need to feel confident to get the motor out and stripped apart exactly as I did above, as you'll need it at that state to get to the bearings. I don't recommend splitting the motor fully and replacing the bearings as their cheap motors, with mainly press-fitted components and you'd need a bearing puller and bearings, and a way to tap the new bearings on which is always a pain!

Offline vegi

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »
Ah, then motor it is!

The top bearing is easy as that's at the top of the motor, simply stand the motor on the fancase and stick a good few drips of 3-in-1 oil on and let it soak in.

The fancase bearing isn't as easy, and involves removing the fancase, undoing the fan nut, removing the nut, washer, fan, washer and spacer ring, then unscrewing the fancase back cover, then you can get at the fancase bearing in the same way. Or see if Mvacs have a good, used motor, TBH a brand new motor probably doesn't cost £140....

You also need to feel confident to get the motor out and stripped apart exactly as I did above, as you'll need it at that state to get to the bearings. I don't recommend splitting the motor fully and replacing the bearings as their cheap motors, with mainly press-fitted components and you'd need a bearing puller and bearings, and a way to tap the new bearings on which is always a pain!

Thanks for your help! And the guide has been great to help me. Managed to put a new motor in and clean the plaster dust out of every single nook and cranny! Now itís working a dream again. Thanks again for your help.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
Ah, then motor it is!

Thanks for your help! And the guide has been great to help me. Managed to put a new motor in and clean the plaster dust out of every single nook and cranny! Now itís working a dream again. Thanks again for your help.

Fantastic, that's great to hear! Now you can spend £140 on something else, man-maths at its finest! (or female-maths, I've no idea what your gender is!)

Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice†††Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram