The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC34 animal cut out issue - tried to resolve but.......  (Read 5824 times)

Offline hectorsgaf

DC34 animal cut out issue - tried to resolve but.......
« on: November 16, 2018, 05:21:12 pm »
Hi. Thank you for the welcome.

Amongst our VAST array of other Dysons we have  a DC34  purple and green animal handheld that has done us proud but suffered from what I understand  is a common problem.  Hold the trigger and it keeps turning off at will for no reason. .   All contacts seem ok and I have cleaned them.  Most popular fix seems to be with respect to the contact point provided by the filter lug to the button on the unit. Many say turn the filter around and it works better. Well it did for a couple of days but we are now back to square one.  Trying to be a smart arXe  I then messed around with what I thought would be a simply additional fix.  Small, right sized, pieces of what is actually butyl pond liner cut to size and glued to the right place on the filter to add bulk to the lug that is meant to press on the switch.  Again. For a while I thought I had cracked it but no, stop start, stop start again at different intervals.  . Losing the will to live now so is there something I am missing here? Is it a vacuum issue caused by the filter not sitting right perhaps? ( Don't think so )   Do not get me wrong, this hoover has done well and owes very little but like many others, I feel this is a 'Triggers Broom' thing like with many Dyson uprights etc./

Please can somebody help me?

Thank you

Edit -  ok.  researched again. We have had this 7 years.  Moderate use I suppose. Could this be a battery issue? if so . why does it sometimes run for a few seconds only then go for a few minutes? Would this fit?   If battery - recommendations?  ( Apart from replace it   ;) best source etc

Offline DavidP

Re: DC34 animal cut out issue - tried to resolve but.......
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »
Sounds like a battery to me, what did you find out eventually?

Offline hectorsgaf

Re: DC34 animal cut out issue - tried to resolve but.......
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:51:34 pm »
Sounds like a battery to me, what did you find out eventually?

I was beginning to wonder IF anybody would respond especially as this seems like such a common issue. 

Found the solution by accident in some obscure section of the internet and totally by chance.  Yes it is a battery issue but only in as much as the weight of the battery eventually causes intermittent  connection on terminals.   A strategically placed cable tie placed to hold battery tight in the machine has completely solved this issue.  Hope this helps somebody some day.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram