The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele S344 Platinum Vacuum  (Read 1014 times)

Offline claro416

Miele S344 Platinum Vacuum
« on: March 09, 2023, 01:49:21 am »
Hi all. I've got a Miele Platinum canister vacuum from 2000 (s344i) that was working fine until it took a jolt off a ledge. Now it lights up, but the motor doesn't turn on. I've got it fully dismantled and don't see anything damaged: the fuse is fine, carbon brushes have plenty of life and motor spins with my finger. I've been trying to get the circuit boards out to inspect them, and that's where I get stuck. I've tried Miele and repair shops in Florida and Chicago, and their advice is to junk the machine. I'm not ready to give up on it yet - does anyone have any advice or reasonable way to repair? Any guidance or assistance would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance for your time!

Offline macman

Re: Miele S344 Platinum Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 12:06:59 pm »
Have you checked for continuity from plug to cable rewind, and rewind to motor? If that is all OK, I would rig up a temporary power supply bypassing the PCB: so direct from cable rewind to the motor. If the motor is OK, it should run at full speed, and that would confirm that the PCB is damaged. I doubt that the motor itself has been damaged purely by an impact, if it is visually OK.
If so, your best option is probably to source a replacement PCB from a scrapper S3 series machine with a blown motor.
Obviously you need to be competent with electrical work to rig up the temporary power supply, as this is at mains voltage.

Offline claro416

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 03:46:58 pm »
Macman - this is a great lead, thank you. I'll almost certainly be taking this to a shop with a qualified electrician to test, my main focus is on making sure they don't just give me the brush off because they either don't want to deal with a challenge or because they want to sell me a new machine.
If I can ask a follow up question: should I also be looking at the control board, or can we safely assume that is OK because it's lighting up? And if that is something to look at, is there a way to remove that board? I'm not spotting any clips to disengage or screws holding things in place, but I'm not seeing a way to get the board out from the plastic frame it's sitting inside of.

Offline macman

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 05:25:16 pm »
The display lighting up may not necessarily mean that it's functioning properly, only that it's receiving power. To fully work, you have to know that it's sending power through to the motor.. If you have taken all the screws out, then it should come out either by unclipping it or just sliding the plastic moulding holding it away from the rest of the assembly.
Have a look on YouTube for some more detailed breakdown of how to strip down an S3 series Miele.

Offline macman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 05:25:27 pm »

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram