The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Smell from motor  (Read 2752 times)

Offline tangotonyb

Smell from motor
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:15:54 pm »
Is it ok if a dyson emits a smell (ozone?) when it hasn't been used for a while - but only for a while?

I turned on a DC24 that's not been used for 6 months and there was a slight smell, but continuing to operate it and I couldn't detect it any more.

Related issue: Another one where the motor is seriously clogged due to a mis-fitted seal, smells every time it's used - I suspect this is dead, but going to try to clean out the motor and see if the smell lingers. Worth the time, or is this motor almost certainly dead.

Note - the sound and suction on both are ok.

Offline Dysonboy

Re: Smell from motor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:22:44 am »
Is it ok if a dyson emits a smell (ozone?) when it hasn't been used for a while - but only for a while?

I turned on a DC24 that's not been used for 6 months and there was a slight smell, but continuing to operate it and I couldn't detect it any more.

Related issue: Another one where the motor is seriously clogged due to a mis-fitted seal, smells every time it's used - I suspect this is dead, but going to try to clean out the motor and see if the smell lingers. Worth the time, or is this motor almost certainly dead.

Note - the sound and suction on both are ok.

If its a kind of hot metalic smell check for any sparks, check the commutator and brushes. I get it occasoinly on my dysons when I switch between one i havent used for a while. If all seems good vacuum on I say. I get hot and/or metallic smells sometimes when a machine hasnt been used for a while and once the motor has warmed up to its normal operating temperature it goes away.
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram