The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson V10 - Stripdown and Refurb!  (Read 23930 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Dyson V10 - Stripdown and Refurb!
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:40 pm »
It is time! Time for a poorly Dyson V10! Dyson had refused to repair it due to plaster dust (and I expect the wrong words by the owner) so it came my way! At first, I did this to it

However that turned out to not be the issue, so I had it back (pre-arranged, I did tell the owner it might not have been that, and she was fine with it. So, of course, let's strip it down!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The problem was soon found

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

But, we can't stop there can we... The wands started off being very promising, as both end caps unscrewed nicely

ila_rendered

Revealing a nice wodge of fluff all around the power connectors

ila_rendered

Screws on the other end

ila_rendered

Revealing some nice looking clips

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson V10 - Stripdown and Refurb!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:15:47 pm »
Let's unscrew the wiring block first

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

However... no matter what I did, the ends would not come out of the wand, even with the clips released. I assume it was all pressed together, and as I did not want to break it, I admitted defeat at this stage

ila_rendered

wiped it all down and re-assembled it! Onto the floor head!

ila_rendered

Brushroll out

ila_rendered

Revealing the massive motor housing

The rubber blade at the back pops out, housing and all

ila_rendered

Then the blade slides out of the housing

ila_rendered

We can see the screws that hold the top cover on now

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:45 pm »
The cover lifts up at the edges, but needs popping out of the centre part, luckily the plastic is quite pliable so easily done

ila_rendered

The 3 screws at the front enable the clear* head to lift off

ila_rendered

The brushroll motor housing lifts out here too, although I'd advise leaving it in for now as you cant remove it yet!

ila_rendered

As first the rear wheels need to come off

ila_rendered

Which were in good* condition

ila_rendered

I removed the screws next that sit under the wheels and hold the pivot together

ila_rendered

Although whilst doing that realised the whole thing slid out of the other part! So put the screws down for a sec

ila_rendered

And took a picture of that

ila_rendered

Back to the pivot (and this should be very familiar to anyone who'se had a modern dyson head apart before as it's identical) but the pivot pulls apart, and you can start to release the wires

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:29:51 pm »
Under the ratings plate sticker sits another screw. Remove that and the housing drops back to access the wiring run

ila_rendered

Pull the wires out, and part of the pivot/suction duct comes away, the rest is daisy-chained with the motor loom

ila_rendered

Usual filth

ila_rendered

Time to release the wiring. Pop the wiring plug up and out of the head

ila_rendered

And release the terminals, and pull everything through and off the wires!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Onto the brushroll motor. Now, full disclosure time, I did break this, and had to obtain another head (luckily the v6 has an identical head so it was very cheap, infact incredibly cheap as it was free (the donor knows who he is, thank you very much! :tiphat:) but, it does show how not to do it, and the motor, so I will write it all up!

ila_rendered

First, pluck the wires out from under the rubber seal, then the whole end assembly does unclip from the motor housing fairly easily, feeding the wires back through as you pull

ila_rendered

Which reveals the motor

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:37:06 pm »
That's not where it went wrong though, this is. You see, I tried to remove the metal bar that turns the brushroll. There's a circlip that comes off (which I failed to get a good picture of...)

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then a split pin that can be removed

ila_rendered

Now, what you don't do is try and tap the bar into the housing, as it's a proper tight press fit into the bearing and then housing, and what you actually do is push the motor off the bar, which is a problem. What then ensues is a right battle trying to pull the motor out of the housing, as it is VERY tight, and all you can do is flick it out 0.3mm at a time until...

ila_rendered

You can see the 2 annoying seals. These 3 cogs shouldn't be on here either

ila_rendered

They should sit in here

ila_rendered

So I dropped them back on using a long screwdriver

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then refitted the motor. However, I had moved the bar slightly, but could not tap it back, short of smacking it too hard and snapping the bearing out of the housing. With time, you possibly could do this, and I do still have the head to try, but as it was, it would not turn (as the tolerances were not right) and it needed to go back to the owner before she smelt a rat, so another head was speedily acquired, I put this to one side

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:45:53 pm »
The main bit, the machine itself!

ila_rendered

First off, whip the battery out!. 1 screw at the back

ila_rendered

And 2 underneath

ila_rendered

Safety first and yadda yadda

ila_rendered

Next, open the bin

ila_rendered

Then remove it by pushing the tab down

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Now, the lower flap probably can be removed, however V10 bins aren't exactly 99p on ebay, and knowing how brittle these can be if forced the wrong way I opted to leave it alone. There also seems to be a spring inside the hinge mechanism too

ila_rendered

It's fine anyway, will wash up nicely enough. The seals come out easily

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:54:37 pm »
The latch mechanism seems to consist of this rotating cog, held in with a tiny screw

ila_rendered

The other screw holds the big inner sealing ring in place, and once removed, and a screwdriver used internally to flick the ring out of it's latches

ila_rendered

It can be withdrawn

ila_rendered

The handle to open the bin pops off. noting the tiny spring

ila_rendered

The (spotless) filter is removed

ila_rendered

Revealing the 4 screws at the rear, and 2 at the back of the bin slide bit of the housing

ila_rendered

To start to remove the wiring loom to the head, a blunt screwdriver and smack with the back of your hand pops the plug back into the machine (I did this here so one of the cyclone screw standoffs didn't snap off or something annoying like that.

ila_rendered

And the rear half of the machine can be removed

ila_rendered

Revealing the motor

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:08 pm »
Well, nearly, there's a cover in the way first. 2 screws and some tabs

ila_rendered

PCB for the thing

ila_rendered

The blurry wire that's removed from the PCB is the data wire from the battery (runs the battery indicator LED or something I assume)

ila_rendered

The blue wire for the speed control, live and neutral from the battery are removed, then the whole motor assembly slides out of the machine

ila_rendered

the motor then slides out of it's housing

ila_rendered

Then finally the black sponge (diffuser?) from the back of the motor

ila_rendered

This is the motor. I didn't prod it too much as I imagine it's quite an expensive and annoying thing to find...

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

So have some pics instead! Back to the housing, the speed control slider pops out with a flick from a fingernail on one side

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:11:25 pm »
ila_rendered

Then the little circuit board slides out of the housing, rubber seal and all

ila_rendered

Next up is the housing that brings the cables up from the battery to the motor (I forgot to say, bend the ends of the mains cables flat to really help removal of the motor, and this bit!). Using a flexible screwdriver, remove the 2 screws

ila_rendered

Then feed the wires out, minding not to rip the tiny data wire

ila_rendered

Flipping the thing over, and just like the V6, one screw holds the whole shebang in

ila_rendered

Allowing for easy removal

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Empty!

ila_rendered

Onto the cyclone arrangement now

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:16:15 pm »
Removing this one screw removes the bin slide which makes it alot easier to work with

ila_rendered

And the first 4 screws can be removed from the central cone

ila_rendered

Which lifts off

ila_rendered

Revealing lots of stuck dust

ila_rendered

The rubber seal lifts off

ila_rendered

Next up is the shroud.

ila_rendered

Remove the 4 screws, then pop it out of place by the suction inlet

ila_rendered

Then slide it off

ila_rendered

The bin emptying mechanism might clean the outside of the shroud off, but like every good Dyson it doesnt touch the inside

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:20:14 pm »
Now, we can see more screws

ila_rendered

Which splits the cyclone

ila_rendered

To remove the wires, push the small plug out

ila_rendered

Open it up and remove the terminals

ila_rendered

And it can be fully withdrawn

ila_rendered

The inner filth can be seen. I'm sure in the older Dysons the fine dust in the inner cone just fell out into the bin alot more?

ila_rendered

The 4 inner cones lift out

ila_rendered

And all the foam seals pull carefully off

ila_rendered

And it's apart! A nice pile for washing

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 11:23:59 pm »
A pile not for washing

ila_rendered

I used my screwdriver set usually reserved for Thinkpad tinkering for this, the screws are TINY, again just like all the other modern ones

ila_rendered

And the screws themselves

Everything was washed, dried and polished

And reassembled! Starting by putting the foam seals back on the cones

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The middle 4 cones were slid back in (make sure the slots at the back are properly aligned)

ila_rendered

Clean!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 11:31:22 pm »
Best start wiring it up again!

But this time, we can start from the front and wire the main body - to - wand plug up and fit it back in

ila_rendered

Rubber seal on

ila_rendered

Shroud next, and I've tried to show it, but again slots have to line up for it to refit properly

ila_rendered

Then *click*

ila_rendered

The 2 halves can be bought together now

ila_rendered

As can the parts of the cyclone assembly

ila_rendered

Which is looking much cleaner

ila_rendered

Then screw it all together! Long screws at the top for the cyclone, shorter ones for the cone to shroud

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 11:36:04 pm »
Onto the bin now, and the red release latch needs fitting. The spring is actually very easy, as it's not under alot of tension, so fit the spring to the red bit, then offer the red lever up to the bin, hooking the spring over it's holder as you go, then clip the other side on

ila_rendered

Check it bounces with movement

ila_rendered

Clip the top seal back on

ila_rendered

Screw the bin slide back onto the cyclone

ila_rendered

And I fitted the seals to the bin flap, then the bin to the cyclone

It's surprisingly hard to operate the bin emptying mechanism like this, without the handle to hold! Anyway, onto electrical matters, refitting the trigger and cables

ila_rendered

Feed the wires through as you go

ila_rendered

Then screw it down (yes you will drop the screw about 17 times trying to get it to go in if it's not a magnetic driver...)

ila_rendered

Fit the wiring duct and screw it back down

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:40:43 pm »
Fit the speed adjustment PCB

ila_rendered

And clip the slider down. It works by magic, so doesn't need to line up with anything on the PCB, it just 'knows'

ila_rendered

Motor now

ila_rendered

Slot it back together

ila_rendered

And clip the speed control and battery data wire in, then screw the main voltage wires down, carefully bending the ends back to right angles as you go

ila_rendered

Pop the motor cover on

ila_rendered

Then screw the motor assembly to the cyclone assembly

ila_rendered

Fit the battery and filter and check operation. All good? You should be if you followed this correctly!

ila_rendered

By this point, my saviour had delivered, so this is the new, working motor housing as I'd had this a few days now and didn't want to get chased up, I'll fix the broken one one day and send it back to be used, so assume I didn't break anything, and that all is original and well (gosh the dyson fan boys are going to have a right old laugh at this one... Ah well, if the maount of V6's I'm repairing at the moment is anything to go by these have 3/4 years before they all start to fail then who will be laughing?)

ila_rendered

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram