The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Electrolux Twin Turbo Z522 - Stripdown & Refurbishment!  (Read 6708 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Electrolux Twin Turbo Z522 - Stripdown & Refurbishment!
« on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:25 pm »
This Electrolux twin Turbo is a very late one. Born in a time when the Twin Turbo was a run out, budget, bottom of the line model! A far cry from the days of the 506 Electronic (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1737.0.html), and now demoted to below machines such as the Glider (itself a fairly low end machine) (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,3747.0.html) The Twin Turbo shape lumbered on until the mid 1990's.

This one belongs to a collector called James (the guy who also owns this DC02 Arctic Solo (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,3821.0.html), and it didn't sound at all lovely when it entered the hospital

So let's see about sorting that out!

ila_rendered

The plug was scrap

ila_rendered

And the cable grommit split (although you can't see that too much here)

ila_rendered

As per all Twin Turbo's, the handle part hinges off the bag compartment to get to the bag

ila_rendered

The foam gasket (which always perished and turned to dust) has been replaced with a nice rubber perimeter seal. 2 screws and the whole thing lifts off

ila_rendered

And the seal was glued on, but most of that had failed so we shall replace that

ila_rendered

Being a low end budget vac, the wiring was VERY simple at this point, as the switch is not in the handle on these

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Electrolux Twin Turbo Z522 - Stripdown & Refurbishment!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:23:40 pm »
The handle can be removed by tapping (gently) the 2 pins out of the hinge assembly

ila_rendered

Then we can remove the cable and pull it through

ila_rendered

The switch and top cover plate (presumably for fancier variable power models, they just clipped a different blank in) pop out

ila_rendered

The cable guide comes out in pieces

ila_rendered

And that is this part done!

ila_rendered

2 screws now to remove the carry handle

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Mmmm filth

ila_rendered

Let's have the bag out

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:26:39 pm »
And see what the filters look like!

ila_rendered

The top one is interesting...

ila_rendered

The second one

ila_rendered

Has probably never been removed!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Filters removed!

ila_rendered

On this model, the bag door latch clip taps apart as well, this is a one piece riveted unit on the older machines

ila_rendered

That all done, we now need to venture down below

ila_rendered

And remove the base plate

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:55 pm »
With the hose clamp removed the baseplate can come away from the cleaner

ila_rendered

Brushroll out

ila_rendered

The bearings are very good which is ace as their a non removable type and these brushrolls are a bit unobtanium to get hold of!

ila_rendered

Knackered brush strips removed

ila_rendered

Onto the release pedal now, which is removed with 2 screws holding metal brackets on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

It all sort of falls apart after that

ila_rendered

These 2 nylon wheels help the whole assembly roll smoothly. These often seize up and wear completely flat! These are OK

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:05 pm »
The rear wheels are a circlip away from freedom too

ila_rendered

The motor cover can be unscrewed now, and amazingly none of the pressed in screw threads came with it!

ila_rendered

Dusty

ila_rendered

The feed cable is held in place with this plastic peg you can just about see under the motor housing rubber seals

ila_rendered

Pull and remove

ila_rendered

Unplug the wires from the supressor and the motor is free

ila_rendered

The motor itself is not very happy

ila_rendered

Kerknackered

ila_rendered

Fancase seal off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:40:27 pm »
Let's remove the supressor as their the explodey fire type, and oh look, it's starting to crumble! It does this until the connections inside make sweet explosive smoking love...

ila_rendered

In the bin that goes!

ila_rendered

Let's pop the catches to release the top part of the motor (which is all you can do on these in the UK, Mr Gareth Sheen will be reading this with his smug face on...)

ila_rendered

And whip that bearing out for the bin as well

ila_rendered

The armature looks fine

ila_rendered

Tap the fancase off incase there's any surprises lurking inside, which there is not

ila_rendered

I've sen fluff and stuff build up in here, the ESP motors had a big spring around the edge of the fan too which was gr9 for catching all the dirt over 3 decades!

ila_rendered

Time for the front wheels now

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:13 pm »
These all just pull apart

The height adjustment knob is held in with 2 brackets

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The bumper screws on with a screw on each end

ila_rendered

The cover plate on the hood was very rattley, and infact came off wit ha light shove from my finger, all the glue had dried

ila_rendered

Picked it all off

ila_rendered

Someone has tried to perk it up at some point in the past though it seems

ila_rendered

Oh look, a ratings plate! Week 25 1988

ila_rendered

These felt rings, well, 1 and a half rings sit around the pivot joint betwixt the bag housing and motor housing. One is worn right away

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:50:23 pm »
Time for the bag housing now

ila_rendered

The tool port cover/suction adjuster unscrews, revealing the screw for the other part underneath

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The internal hose prises out of it's place

To remove the spinal cord, first tie something to the cable and pull it through, to aid pulling it back afterwards as it's a sod of a job otherwise! I found this fetching blue ribbon...

ila_rendered

And that is that!

Screws

Ran the metalwork over the wire wheel

ila_rendered

And everything was washed, dried and polished!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:58:18 pm »
Starting with the cover for the hood

ila_rendered

Much hot glue later

ila_rendered

It was fitted!

ila_rendered

I put the motor together now. Part of the reason I removed the fancase was unlike most other motors, the fancase is held on by tape, which nowadays is very much not sticky. Usually I use insulation tape and give it a good few hard wraps, but I could not find it so sellotape does the job perfectly well, it hasn't got to look nice!

ila_rendered

The fancase bearing had been fed much oil over the prior few days, and the top end was reassembled with a nice new bearing

ila_rendered

And clipped together!

ila_rendered

The spinal cord was pulled back through the bag housing

ila_rendered

Internal hose re-assembled (white bit goes inside the hose to stop it collapsing, rubber seal goes around the outside, square edges to the side)

ila_rendered

Pushed in wit ha drop of oil or similar otherwise it's an utter mare of a job to get it to slide in

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 11:01:35 pm »
The cover then screws on and holds it all together

ila_rendered

Tool port now

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Height adjustment knob

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The front wheels were re-assembled with a drop of grease on the spindles

ila_rendered

Motor rubbered up and dropped into place

ila_rendered

Then the bag housing had it's felt rings fitted, the whole thing was dropped into place, the mains cable run and the wires soldered directly to the motor terminals and heatshrunk accordingly!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 11:05:09 pm »
Everything needs to be checked for alignment now, and it's a very fiddly and annoying job the 6th time it all falls apart

ila_rendered

But finally the motor cover can go on! Do the 4 screws around the pivots up first

ila_rendered

Fit the spring for the front wheels

ila_rendered

Start to assemble the recline pedal now, drop of grease on these wheels

ila_rendered

And assemble it all! You need to hold the rear wheels and pedal with one hand, then fit the spring, metal bracket and screw with the other!

ila_rendered

The brushroll weighs about 2 ton less now it's not full of dust

ila_rendered

The brushes are being fitted in the after video, along with the belt so in the naked shell goes for now

ila_rendered

Baseplate can go on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 11:07:58 pm »
ila_rendered

Bag door clip on

ila_rendered

Carry handle fitted

ila_rendered

Flying ever higher now, a new cable grommit is fitted (got a few of these, their very handy!)

ila_rendered

Some evidence of fading compared to under the trim piece, not noticeable when assembled though

ila_rendered

Clip

ila_rendered

Join all the wires together and fit the switch

ila_rendered

Glue the bag seal back on

ila_rendered

Fit the little square seal for the suction channel

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:09:59 pm »
I found another plug, and shone the pins up because I'm a sad perfectionist like that

ila_rendered

And now it is Ever Ready

ila_rendered

To power this

For the next 40 or 50 years!

Hope you enjoyed it, and stay tuned for the next exciting rebuild thread!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram