The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Vax 121 Filter Ring Seal  (Read 6040 times)

Offline Gelf

Vax 121 Filter Ring Seal
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:55:28 pm »
Greetings to all from a new member!

Our old Miele S5211 died with a dodgy armature, so I picked up a cheap Vax 121 to keep us going for a while.

Trouble is it has poor suction (I knew this) because there is a seal missing called the filter ring sealing washer on the parts diagram.

I assumed I would be able to pick one of these up cheap no problem, but it seems to be no longer available. For now I have stuck on a strip of self adhesive neoprene foam gasket all round the outside lip of the motor housing. It seems to be working, but obviously the proper thing would be better.

Any ideas where I might find one?

Thanks,
Lance

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Vax 121 Filter Ring Seal
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:09:36 pm »
Hi Lance.

Is this seal the big rubbery seal that goes around the two parts of the filter assembly? Or the thin self adhesive foam gasket that goes around the very outer edge of the filter unit and recovery bucket?

If it's the former,you may have to get creative as they are very much not available, or be lucky and find a whole filter assembly. Moorgoods on ebay might be able to help, they've had a few vax 121s in for breaking and came up trumps with some Goblin Rio parts for me!

If it's the latter then they are still available as a pattern part, they were on Quаltex's systems a few years ago, so mvacs may be able to look it up for you.

Do you have the bag holder and a papee/cloth bag that fits into that with a rubber band, or the drop in paper bags? If it's the former, you can make Numatic hepaflo bags fit quite happily which almost make the original filter redundant, then just seal the perimeter of the filter unit externally with tape... Will last until the bags full anyway!

Sam
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Gelf

Re: Vax 121 Filter Ring Seal
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:33:57 pm »
Thanks Sam; it's that big rubber ring thing, I'm afraid - and with drop in paper bags. It looks like the makeshift seal I've done is as good as it's going to get!

Lance

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration