The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Blown Motor?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Snezza

Blown Motor?
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:34:21 pm »
Hello, hope somebody can help, my Dyson's power cut out and now wont come on at all.

I have stripped the hoover and found no blockages.

I have opened the switch compartment and checked the wires and switch and they are fine.

I have checked both filters the one on the side had hardly any dust on it which is what I expected since it has only been used about 5 times, but the filter above the motor is completely black and when I checked the fuse inside the plug it looked a bit burnt which leads me to believe the motor has blown up?

Could this be the problem, I cant think of anything else?

Thankyou for any help you can give! :)

Offline bluebumble485

Re: Blown Motor?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 07:49:23 am »
the black post filter tells you motor has gone just get new motor look on youtube it shows you how let us know if it sorts  it

Offline Dysonboy

Re: Blown Motor?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:02:54 pm »
the black post filter tells you motor has gone just get new motor look on youtube it shows you how let us know if it sorts  it

The motors rarely just stop when they go, Id start by replacing the fuse, thoroughly checking the cable for damage, and if that still doesn't start it carefully connect a cable to the chassis cable bypassing the switch and original power cord. At this point if it works then its either switch or cable issue, fit the switch and then test.

If it still doesn't work then assume motor.

It is possible that the carbons have just worn right down that its no longer in contact and a pair of new carbon brushes will solve it, ive had it a few times in the past but more common for it to be a cable issue when it just stops.

Normally a burnt out or worn motor will emit burning smells and slow down making strange noises before dieing completely- but again there is sometimes the case of otherwise.
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram