The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson High Torque Head - Stripdown & Repair!  (Read 5296 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Dyson High Torque Head - Stripdown & Repair!
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:40:25 pm »
So, as some of you may have noticed, the High torque head on my V11 broke a while ago

One warranty claim later, and I have a new one. But Dyson did not demand the old head back. So, because I want to make more videos of the machine to justify buying it (youtube ad revenue is paying for it remember) I thought I would try and fix it and use it for the big and dirty videos, and keep the new one for using at home.

ila_rendered

Using a big screwdriver, the brushroll can be removed

ila_rendered

the broken bit

ila_rendered

The rear rubber bit needs to be removed. There are 2 cross head screws at the back, one either side

ila_rendered

Then the plastic holders slide out, you can pull the boot back and see the 4 screws holding it in from underneath

ila_rendered

All removed

ila_rendered

The front screws can be removed now, and the bumper removed. This shows the min/norm/max setting adjustment

ila_rendered

The top cover wiggles out from underneath the pivot point cover, it's a bit tricky but luckily the plastic bends nicely so it's do-able

ila_rendered

Then the clear brushroll housing lifts off

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson High Torque Head - Stripdown & Repair!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:26 pm »
All of that was very good blah blah, but this is the interesting part, the new motor and PCB assembly! It lifts out of the baseplate once the clear housing is removed

ila_rendered

Nice to see the 2ish weeks of use haven't made it too dirty

ila_rendered

2 long screws sit at the end

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The motor housing holder pulls off the end

ila_rendered

The broken bits fell off here

ila_rendered

Then the second inner ring pulls off

ila_rendered

I think both of these hold the brushroll straight and true on the motor housing whilst it spins around. They obviously do a very good job and are very robust...

The motor now pulls out of the housing, whilst feeding the wires through. I think there was a third screw, i can't actually remember now...

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson High Torque Head - Stripdown & Repair!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:26 pm »
Anyway, onto the new PCB, that makes the motor change speed depending on the drag it senses. Even on boost, which is a pain when you want full boost, not part boost...

ila_rendered

Motor details

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And there we go! I re-assembled it, sans the broken part. And it works utterly fine, infact it's bloody quieter than the new one Dyson sent me!

Anyway, hope this helps in the future if they start failing etc!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram