The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson V6 Fluffy - no attachments work  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Bossworld

Dyson V6 Fluffy - no attachments work
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:11 pm »
I've got a 2 1/2 year old V6 Fluffy that we've just noticed the brush bar isn't spinning.  The machine is working fine otherwise, on standard and Max modes.

As it's the fluffy model it came with the carpet, hard floor and mini attachments.  None of them work, plugged into the wand or directly.

I own a multi meter (though never quite figured out what I'm checking) and from what I can tell have the following results (sorry haven't noted any numbers yet but will do if it helps).

Continuity test on each of the three heads on their own - pass
Continuity test on each of the three heads plugged into the wand - pass
Continuity test on each of the three heads, plugged into the wand, plugged into the bin - pass (using the contact points on the rear of the bin)

Continuity test across the contacts on the V6 itself - fail (perhaps to be expected if there's some kind of switch or other circuit)?

DC Voltage test across the contacts on the V6 itself - pass (but seemed quite low?)
DC Amperage test across the contacts on the V6 itself - pass.

I've managed to remove the cyclone and checked the two contact points are clean and sat properly.

Absolutely lost.  I'm guessing there's some kind of check/circuit within the motor assembly that checks whether something is attached or not?

Otherwise I've seen a replacement hand unit for £50 on Amazon (bearing in mind this compatibility info https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,2930.0.html ) but wondering if it's better just to pony up the £80 to Dyson instead.

This seemed relevant - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,3899.0.html

Thank you

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
Re: Dyson V6 Fluffy - no attachments work
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 10:33:48 pm »
I believe the output of the v6 is open collector ? so needs a working load (good motor) connected to it to work.

If i had it on the bench i could find the issue in a a couple of minutes, but for the less experienced it is more difficult.
I wouldnt go connecting a meter on current measurement over the contacts either as all it does is short out.

Not knowing the attachments, do they all have a motor ? if so then it's unlikely they have all failed so possibly as you say hand unit has failed or an open circuit on the long pipe ? but i assume you have connected the attachment direct to the bin outlet.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Bossworld

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:20:31 am »
I believe the output of the v6 is open collector ? so needs a working load (good motor) connected to it to work.

If i had it on the bench i could find the issue in a a couple of minutes, but for the less experienced it is more difficult.
I wouldnt go connecting a meter on current measurement over the contacts either as all it does is short out.

Not knowing the attachments, do they all have a motor ? if so then it's unlikely they have all failed so possibly as you say hand unit has failed or an open circuit on the long pipe ? but i assume you have connected the attachment direct to the bin outlet.

Hey thanks for the quick reply

First part would make sense then. I guess with the cyclone removed I'd have access to measure while everything is attached and running but bit unsure of whether I'd break something else.

All three attachments have a motor to my knowledge (or at least the larger two definitely do). I performed the continuity test on all combinations so I'm fairly happy there's no open circuit up until the end of the collection bin (tested with and without the wand connected).

Only other thing I can think of - is there any kind of actuator or switch in the collection bin itself? I.e. is there a possibility that there's something stuck or lodged on the bin connection point that thinks it's connected to a non motor tool?

Offline Bossworld

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 03:37:14 pm »
Did some further testing:

Used 4 AA batteries in series - was able to make all three heads move when they're standalone, when they're on the wand, even when they're on the wand and bin.

So neither the wand or heads are at fault (though I guess that much we knew).

There's either some gadgetry in the bin (doubt it) that checks for specific attachments, or more likely, something similar in the motor body.

Or, some kind of component that should supply a proper voltage down the two contacts has failed.  With the multimeter (sorry), it's sending out about 0.3v from the two body pins.

Offline ryevac

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:23:45 pm »
In that case it sounds sadly like the main hand unit at fault imo.

Unless anyone else wants to add there opinion, you will have to replace the whole unit as i dont think they are repairable.

Never had the same issue myself, my bet is it's a simple smd fet or transistor thats failed, which are replaceable with the right equipment but the plastics will look like its been chewed by a pack of wild dogs afterwards

Offline Bossworld

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 10:03:20 am »
In that case it sounds sadly like the main hand unit at fault imo.

Unless anyone else wants to add there opinion, you will have to replace the whole unit as i dont think they are repairable.

Never had the same issue myself, my bet is it's a simple smd fet or transistor thats failed, which are replaceable with the right equipment but the plastics will look like its been chewed by a pack of wild dogs afterwards

Yup - annoyingly the fluffy body is about £60 online everywhere, whereas the absolute is only £40. I've just given Dyson £65 as it comes with a year's warranty. Had the whole thing in pieces and it doesn't look user serviceable, I like your take on chewed plastic  :))

Thanks again

Offline ryevac

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:52:07 pm »
 ;D
worth keeping old one to have a look at, have you tried to split it open ?

Offline Bossworld

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:41 pm »
;D
worth keeping old one to have a look at, have you tried to split it open ?

Sorry didn't receive notification of a reply.

1) Yes, have opened up the rear to look at the PCB (though didn't dismantle the PCB further as there looked to be nothing I could do/change with it).  Cut the wires to the metal contacts and tried them directly/checked voltage which was still very low - still no dice.

2) Paid £65 for a replacement body from Dyson. Came within 48 hours, everything is working again.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration