The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC07 Suction... again  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Nikita_st

DC07 Suction... again
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:15:29 pm »
Hi all, I’m new here. I came across this forum when trying to google the issue I’ve got with my DC07. None of the existing topics seem to cover my issue to a resolution. So I cleaned the brush one day by cutting off the hair and threats that had got caught up in it the brush always has and still moves freely, I didn’t do anything else but ever since then it’s been almost impossible to use. It’s almost like the suction has increased. So much so that I can’t push it forward but when I do it’s heavy, to the ground and sometimes even screeches. It was working perfectly fine until the point I cleaned it and it showed no signs of failure.

I don’t know terms so please bear with me on this one... to try and resolve this I’ve taken off the sole plate, made sure the wheels move freely, cleaned it, removed the rubber, even tried putting pennies on it to create space between the plate and the floor. I’ve cleaned the filters, checked for blockages and tested it at each stage.

Here’s the baffling part. It moves freely until I put the dust collector back on so the brush moves when on carpet but as soon as the collector is back on the suction is unreal. I can’t figure this one out.

Any ideas?

Offline macman

Re: DC07 Suction... again
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:04:04 pm »
With the cyclone and bin removed, you have no suction at the cleaner head because you have removed part of the airpath. That's not a fault.
Try rotating the bottom hose around so that it doesn't push the cleaner head so far into the carpet. You may also have a worn brushroll or housing that is allowing the cleaner head to sit too low.
When you cleaned the brushroll, you improved the Suction, hence the problem.

Offline Nikita_st

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:38 pm »
So you reckon if I replace the brush roll and sole plate that it should return to normal? If you think so then I’ll give it a go as it seems an inexpensive fix to try. I only see one thing that I think is the hose you’re referring to and it doesn’t move, I’ll take another look though. Thank you for helping

Offline Nikita_st

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:40:07 pm »
Also how do I know if my unit is the clutched or non clutched version as I notice there are a few different shapes of the brushes online but only the cylindrical shaped brush comes in deals with the soleplate... what is the difference between being clutched and non clutched? Thank you

Offline macman

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 06:19:14 am »
Clutched versions have a knob on the left hand side as you face the machine from the front, this enables you to switch off the brushroll drive for hard floors. The bottom hose is a push fit at both ends.
I'm not suggesting you replace anything just yet. Inspect the brushroll , soleplate and housing for wear, then change if necessary. But try turning the hose first, since that is a free fix.

Offline Nikita_st

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 08:55:03 am »
Thank you again. Yes that means it’s the clutched version as it has the knob on it. The soleplate does have a fair few scratches on it. It’s strange as my partner has the same model that he bought recently from a company online that refurb them to sell on and if does similar on certain types of carpet. It was supposedly cleaned and everything but it stank when we got it and I had to strip it down to clean it properly. I would have expected the brush roll to be new on his. Perhaps in solving the issue with mine I’ll solve it for his too...

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:54 am »
Thank you again. Yes that means it’s the clutched version as it has the knob on it. The soleplate does have a fair few scratches on it. It’s strange as my partner has the same model that he bought recently from a company online that refurb them to sell on and if does similar on certain types of carpet. It was supposedly cleaned and everything but it stank when we got it and I had to strip it down to clean it properly. I would have expected the brush roll to be new on his. Perhaps in solving the issue with mine I’ll solve it for his too...

Simple I know - just double check the knob is selected to ON when you recline the machine otherwise the brush wont spin and makes it very hard to push.
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline Nikita_st

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:55:39 am »
It’s definitely on. It’s always on but thank you anyway

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter