The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Identify this USA Model Dyson Please?  (Read 7622 times)

Online Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
Identify this USA Model Dyson Please?
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:23:56 am »
A guy emailed us this evening asking for spares for a DC14. After there was some confusion, he sent me a couple of photos:

That looks like no DC14 I ever saw. Can anyone help out? Is it a specific US spec model or another model?

Perhaps one we don't have this side of the pond..........

I asked him for an upright shot and serial number for clarification. But, if you guys can tell me what it is first, I am ahead of the curve.  ;)
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Online Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
Re: Identify this USA Model Dyson Please?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:41:17 am »
I just got some new photos. Faster than I thought. Its a US market only DC17 not a DC14.  :-\

Quote from: Wikipedia
DC17
The Dyson DC17 is an upright cleaner launched in October 2006 in the US. Although visually similar to the DC14, it contains new technologies. The first upgrade is the use of Dyson's new Level 3 Root Cyclone. This system incorporates 11 cyclones to more efficiently filter sand and dust particles out of the airstream. In this system, the airflow travels from the low speed outer cyclone to two intermediate cyclones that filter out the bulk of dust and sand particles that are drawn into the system. Beyond that, the airflow flows through the remaining eight high speed cyclones which filters out any remaining dust particles out of the airstream. The Level 3 Root Cyclone improves upon the original Root Cyclone system with its capability to more efficiently separate sand particles from the air flow: contaminants that the current Root Cyclone has difficulty with.

The second change with the DC17 upright is the brushroll design. While the brushrolls used on the DC07, DC14, and DC15 were designed with European carpets in mind, the DC17's brush roll was designed for North America with a cylindrical shape, a large diameter, and short stiff bristles. A separate motor drives the brushroll, unlike the DC07 and DC14 which use clutches that uses power from the main motor. This huge improvement in the brushbar made the DC17 by far Dyson's best cleaning vacuum on carpeting available.

The third change is a new colour scheme that indicates the colour theme for future Dysons. The bright colours and silver tones are toned down in favour of shiny metallic accents and titanium as the main colour for the entire machine. This change can also be seen with the new Dyson DC16 Root 6 Handheld. Official DC17 Page.

The level 3 root cyclone setup on the DC17 was quietly redesigned due to a gasket defect that allowed dirt to enter the cylones backward, clogging them and causing the vacuum to lose suction. Almost all of the original DC17's had this problem. Although Dyson never issued a recall for this issue, they have given out and sold lots of the redesigned cyclone packs. The new DC17's sold have the improved cyclone pack, which works very well.

Problem solved.
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline Vacuum Cleaner House

Re: Identify this USA Model Dyson Please?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »
I was just about to say it was a 17 , we get a few in here for 220 volt conversions.

They are awesome carpet cleaners and lift the carpet pile like no other dyson .

the only real trouble with them is that pet hair and long human hear gets wrapped around the belt and jams it up pretty well

Other wise great machines
Owner of Vacuum Cleaner House, Full service vacuum shop in Cape Town South Africa

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram