The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: The buy and Sell Section.  (Read 6791 times)

Offline Grumpy Jim

The buy and Sell Section.
« on: December 24, 2019, 12:49:35 am »
Hi MV,
I do not as yet qualify for this section but I thought I may be able to have a look.

After a browse through the first page of the Buy/Sell section and then moving to page 4 the penny dropped as I noted the dates and year the posts were made and I was filled with despair. Page 4 goes back to 2014 - what the hell is going on here ?????????   :'(

What a waste of time it would have been looking through that lot. Us old people don't have too much time left to waste.

Have you never thought of deleting a pile of these old posts and so making it at least a possibility that what you are viewing is still wanted or for sale.

Words fail me  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Grumpy Jim

Re: The buy and Sell Section.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:54:19 pm »
MV, In the light of day and being of sound mind (free from K cider) I have a suggestion that may appeal to some but perhaps not the diehards.

Why not create a For Sale/Wanted ARCHIVE, and move all this sections posts that have been listed for a certain period of time to the archive. Thus they would remain for posterity (though heavens knows why) and for reference for those members who have loads of time to waste to view and refer back to.

The remaining live posts would then be worth viewing and responded to. When the cut off period arrives, the post would be archived and the member could then repost and start again with a nice fresh current post if they need to.

This would obviously create duplication in the archive and a bit of extra work for the original poster (and MV) if they have not sold their item or found the item they were looking for but it would at least be a fresh current post.

This seems to me like a reasonable compromise to the current state of play. Think about it please and give my suggestion some consideration.  :bow:

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:07:16 pm »
I think it would be far easier for the original poster to mark as sold or no longer available ?
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Grumpy Jim

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:44:06 pm »
I think it would be far easier for the original poster to mark as sold or no longer available ?
I don't know if you have or use the Freecycle system in your area but we have it in our area. I use it myself a LOT and with quite a fair success rate when asking for stuff IF you are quick off the mark. I have a good success rate when offering items, Replies are in your inbox in a flash. Some stuff you cannot give away - they go to the tip, (example - old pc monitors, the fat ones). You also get a lot of no shows, so I just contact the next in line.

I found when I first joined that this rule was widely conformed to, but as time has gone by people have got lazy and don't bother to advise that the item has gone. As is stands, when I ask for an item, if I do not receive a reply in 24 hours, I just know it has gone, I move on, and don't feel the need to be told in an extra email in my busy inbox.

As an aside, I have had 5 vacs up to now, missed quite a few, and actually refused 2 cordless ones that were offered to me from Freecycle, if memory serves, including a special edition of a DC01 - don't ask for details as that will all be for another separate post when I have the time to spare and inclination to wright it up.

Have also had success with my cost free wants advert on Gumtree, £10 a piece. Again, please don't ask for details - later when I get time.

Have a good xmas and a prosperous new year  :thumbsup:

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 11:30:13 am »
Yes Jim.
used freecycle but don't have a lot of time nowerdays.
gumtree i have used, it is owned by ebay i believe ?

Facebook marketplace is good, but a right pain as some people don't mark it as sold or nla.

Funny thing recently - i decided to comission an electronics work area in back of kitchen as outdoor workshop is too cold - saw an ex nhs desk on facebook (perfect size etc) but it was 4 months old advert - messaged them anyway and yes they still had it in the back of the garage and let me have it for a tenner to clear...

Merry xmas
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Grumpy Jim

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 11:36:30 pm »
Yes Jim.
used freecycle but don't have a lot of time nowerdays.
gumtree i have used, it is owned by ebay i believe ?

Facebook marketplace is good, but a right pain as some people don't mark it as sold or nla.

Funny thing recently - i decided to comission an electronics work area in back of kitchen as outdoor workshop is too cold - saw an ex nhs desk on facebook (perfect size etc) but it was 4 months old advert - messaged them anyway and yes they still had it in the back of the garage and let me have it for a tenner to clear...

Merry xmas
Ryevac,
Have resisted Facebook up to now as I don't even have a modern mobile phone to take advantage of it (use old PAYG cheapo) Maybe one day I will pluck up the courage and go for a new modern phone and Facebook.  :-\

A similar strange thing happened with me with my last free one. A response offering me a vac came a few weeks after a Freecycle wants request I had posted. I thanked the lady for keeping a note of my details for future reference. She said she hadn't. She just recalled an old vac wanted advert and looked it up on the list - funny how things just happen.

I don't like to do an identical wanted advert too frequently in case I upset the Mods (or my wife) Having said that, I have just placed another Dyson Wanted advert directed at those lucky ladies who have just had a new vac for xmas - way to go -  8)  :thumbsup:
Storage and the wife are the problems - what have I done :o Thai K Cider has a lot to answer for  ;)
Catch you later.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration