The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC41 headache  (Read 2801 times)

Offline vacuumhead

DC41 headache
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:54:57 pm »
Hi fellow vacuumers, this ol' guy in New Mexico USA has a DC41 that has snowballed into a nightmare. My eyes can't read the parts diagrams and I can't find a wiring diagram w/values.
I'm capable of repair, just need to know what, where, etc.
Thanks for any advice you can offer. Luck & health to all, Bill

Offline dysondestijl

Re: DC41 headache
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:14:13 pm »
What is the problem you are having? Which parts are broken or not working?

Offline vacuumhead

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:27:07 pm »
Hi & tnx for the reply. This is a bit of a saga, I'll try to be brief. First issue, vertical duct section (switches, etc) broke at the base.   
I noticed the 2 small hoses under the motor needed replacing as well. I stripped the unit down to where I could replace the 2 hoses, that left the motor housing & wheel assembly.
When I re-assembled it all & tried it, the brush wouldn't turn. I have checked as much of the circuits as I can, to no avail.
Now comes the fact that a small spring P/N DY-911206-01 & a plastic black cam(?) must have come out as I found them on the floor. However, I can not locate a place for them, nor can I see the "upright switch" P/N DY-914276-0 anywhere. The diagrams are not clear & enlarging them just blurs them up.
By the way, the wheels are in the upright position. That is another issue for later discussion if you have the time and patience to bear with me. My apologies for the  msg length.
My sincere appreciation for any info you can provide. 

Offline dysondestijl

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:30:40 pm »
Hi. Sorry I cannot give you an immediate answer but I can propose a suggestion.
One of our members on here regularly posts full strip-down guides which you may find useful. Now I know you can strip it down already, however you may wish to refer to the photos in this guide, have a good look in the photos here and compare them to your machine, you may just find a photo of that missing spring or plastic piece, and it may help you to locate where they need to be fitted. Here is the thread which you may find of use:

https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,3329.0.html

Apologies I cannot be of any more help as I am not an expert on the internals of this model range. The DC40, DC41 and similar, I do not enjoy working on due to their increased complexity compared to previous models, I try and get them repaired, rebuilt and out again as soon as possible, if I spend too long looking at them in pieces I get a little frustrated and irritable!

Offline vacuumhead

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 01:22:37 am »
Hello again, my sincere tnx & no apology needed! Problem solved, I had been seeing a black wire as the brown wire. As it went into the motor area, I couldn't see much. Anyhow, when I tried the old "straight pin" continuity test, I realized my mistake and found the brown wire leading me to remove a cover that revealed the missing upright switch, and the location of the cam & spring. So, I guess I just stopped stripping it down 1 step to soon!!!! I knew the brush motor and PCB were OK, so it had to be an open somewhere. I can sleep better now.

Yes, it's a complicated unit & I'll look into the link you sent.
Again, my sincere appreciation for your kindness. By the way, this yank was married to my (late) English Rose for 50 yrs!! I was at 3 USAF bases in the 50s/60s era. I owe you a pint!! Bill

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 02:08:04 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I always suggest taking photos or doing a video when stripping anything ! I always forget and the dreaded i will put it back together when part arrives doesn't go down well with me...  ;D
The only way to fail is not to try.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration