The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Bin Catch Stuck Closed After Refurb  (Read 5314 times)

Offline rightclickfix

• Right Click Fix
Bin Catch Stuck Closed After Refurb
« on: April 30, 2020, 07:58:12 am »
Hi, having been in lock down now since March 14th I've whipped through the house like most others and done all those menial tasks to stop me going stir crazy until the virus passes. I stripped our trusty DC07 down, replaced filters and the extension hose and cleaned it all up but after re-assembling it all the bin flap won't release so we can't empty it. I've tried prying the hinges but I think the catch has got a good hold on the lid/flap so before I destroy it I wondered if there's a way to release it/repair it?
tia
Andy

Offline rightclickfix

• Right Click Fix
Re: Bin Catch Stuck Closed After Refurb
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 08:26:39 am »
After getting my teeth into it this morning I searched you tube and found this video BUT it was someone in the comments that posted saying to remove the push rod from the lid (1 screw) and poke it into the release catch and BAM! opened  ;D
Rather than edit or delete my post I thought I'd add this in case it helps some other 'locked down dad' get it sorted lol.
Excellent site and forums, bookmarked and you'll be the first place I come to for spare parts in future  :thumbsup:

EDIT:
Just to add that it's best to re-attach the rod to the lid (clip it over the front first) then align the lid and screw holders to the bin part, turn it upside down with the lid open (DO NOT close it) and then you can see the rod and can guide it into the hole whilst holding the catch to push it down. Put the whole part onto a surface with lid open and put the screws in then close the lid.

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
Re: Bin Catch Stuck Closed After Refurb
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:47:53 pm »
It is an awkward one that rod, your dc07 would probably benefit from beater bar bearing being cleaned, belt replaced ? and if it's a clutched model a stripdown and service of the clutch.
That will keep you busy...
The only way to fail is not to try.

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram