Dyson Advice > Which Vacuum Cleaner Is for Me?

Thinking of changing model, advice required, please.

(1/3) > >>

lazyid:
Been a Dyson user for more years than I care to recall, and the DC33 Stubborn, bought pre-owned 8 years ago, has decided to fail. Motor made a dying sound and smelt, when the other half was using it yesterday, so I’m contemplating using the £100 (maybe cheaper via local Dyson repairer) to fix it to change into another pre-owned/refurb’d upright.
From the reading here and elsewhere, initially thinking I wanted the same or more air watts, I’ve shortlisted the choice to DC41 II/DC55 or DC75 Cinetic.

So, do we fix the DC33 or do the other two have advancements worth making the switch to?

Usage is solid flooring downstairs, and bathroom, and medium pile carpeted stairs and bedrooms, with a potential change to a deeper pile as and when funds permit.

Just for clarity, is the DC55 a DC41 in original or revised form?

Halcyon:
DC55 is DC41 MK2 with additional tools .
I wouldn't go for Cinetic version. They apparently leak dust into motor. I do think that a model with premotor filter would last much longer.

I've used DC55 for some time and it had a really good suction. I really liked it.
Seemed to clean very well but I stopped using it as the bin seal didn't seem very good. It kinda looked like the dirt was leaking.
The seal that connects vacuum with the bin also isn't very good. It's not tight when vacuum is off, so I'm sure that's gonna cause some problems in the future.

This is a new bin on DC55 that hasn't been emptied before. The seal doesn't seem to be doing a good job at keepin the dust.

Unless I had some faulty bin. .

For comparison, this is a Light Ball with the bin that's been emptied many times. The seal seals much better doesn't it.

MVacs:

--- Quote from: lazyid on April 26, 2020, 12:57:35 pm ---So, do we fix the DC33

--- End quote ---

I'd do that. The DC33 is a great machine. We charge £65 for a new motor fitted. £100 seems a bit much unless theres other stuff wrong with it. But even at that, its cheaper than any decent replacement.

--- Quote from: lazyid on April 26, 2020, 12:57:35 pm ---or do the other two have advancements worth making the switch to?

--- End quote ---

I'd say not. They are not as robust as your DC33.

--- Quote from: lazyid on April 26, 2020, 12:57:35 pm ---with a potential change to a deeper pile as and when funds permit.

--- End quote ---

Forget a DC41 with deep pile carpet, it will glue itself to the floor. For deep pile carpets, you want a Sebo really.

--- Quote from: lazyid on April 26, 2020, 12:57:35 pm ---Just for clarity, is the DC55 a DC41 in original or revised form?

--- End quote ---

Same machine.

ryevac:
I would repair the DC33, and avoid any of the newer rubbish - my personal choice.
Ensure the repairer strips and services the clutch / fits new belts as well as a new post filter too.
If purchasing a pre owned / refurbed dyson, ensure it has been refurbed properly, not just had a clean and filters washed.
I went out to an old dc04 recently, old lass had bought it as refurbed from a market trader, said it was hard to push, had a seized wheel !
As stu says a sebo would be better all rounder. and probably save you money in the long run.

lazyid:
@Halcyon – thanks for confirming the model used for the DC55.
Interesting to hear that about the DC75 Cinetic, and a shame, since I do like the concept, as I’d be fairly lax about cleaning the filters in ours.
I know Parwaz really likes his DC41 II, and hasn’t mentioned the bin seal, and I do like the idea of the motorised head.
I’d say our DC33 isn’t great on solid floors, and edge suction is a bit meh, so part of me is somewhat itching to use the opportunity to switch model.

@MVacs – thanks for the input Stu. The £100 (£99 to be precise) was mentioned as that’s the figure quoted on Dyson’s site. Still waiting on the local independent I found on Yell to respond to the text message I sent him yesterday, so we’ll see what that is first.
Thinking that for an extra £20-50 we could have a “better” model makes a certain amount of sense.
Unsure about the Sebo – some interesting aspects, like the brush-bar removal, and S-Class filtration… but it means having to go backwards as far as bag usage is concerned.
£180 for an X7 Pet from Amazon warehouse (B grade condition?) does put the cat amongst the pigeons, to a degree. However, we’re into budget creep territory, and if the motor and a thorough service can be done for the sort of price you’ve indicated, then £115 can be spent on the home improvements planned.
Weight wise, there doesn’t seem to be much in it, so that’s useful if I end up taking a case of the head staggers!

@ryevacs – thanks for chiming in. Last Dyson serviced/fixed (under warranty?) was way too long ago to remember exactly. Done by Dyson directly, who collected it (DC07 possibly) in a doubled up black bin bag… those were the days!
Good to be made aware of which other parts should be inspected and cleaned/replaced, rather than focusing solely on the motor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version