The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Sebo X1 replacement motor  (Read 156 times)

Offline Peter Young

Sebo X1 replacement motor
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »
On switching the X1 on there are no indicator lights on the machine. The motor has ceased to function.  I have a second Sebo vacuum and the upper part of the X1 functions on the second machine. This suggests the problem is in the lower part of the X1.  I have dismantled the X1 lower machine to find the commutator brushes are very worn and do not appear to contact the commutator firmly.  The commutator is blackened, which to me suggests shorting across the brushes and commutator  I cannot find a way of actually removing these brushes and would be grateful if anyone would advise me if this is possible or not.  The motor ident  is an AMETEK OH44240 117818-08 12/19/97 F2.  The power cables from the motor are about 15" long. 

If it is necessary to replace the motor because the brushes are built in what other items would I need to ensure the new motor fitted and the machine functioned correctly?  The current belt number is 5379. Would I need different power cables to those currently attached to the defunct motor and would there be a need for a different rubber mounting and is there anything else I would need? 

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
Re: Sebo X1 replacement motor
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:06:38 PM »
I have dismantled the X1 lower machine to find the commutator brushes are very worn and do not appear to contact the commutator firmly.  The commutator is blackened, which to me suggests shorting across the brushes and commutator 

If the commutator is blackened enough to be scored and damaged beyond repair or not, is your decision call. We only replace the brushes if the armature is in otherwise good condition. Usually by the time they're black, it's too late. But thats an individual engineer's call. Some people clean them up and claim success.

I cannot find a way of actually removing these brushes and would be grateful if anyone would advise me if this is possible or not. 

We recently made a rebuild video on Sebo motors here:

That is the later motor than yours, but the job is pretty much the same.

The motor ident is an AMETEK OH44240 117818-08 12/19/97 F2.  The power cables from the motor are about 15" long.

If you choose to replace the motor, that motor is >here<

If it is necessary to replace the motor because the brushes are built in what other items would I need to ensure the new motor fitted and the machine functioned correctly?  The current belt number is 5379. Would I need different power cables to those currently attached to the defunct motor and would there be a need for a different rubber mounting and is there anything else I would need?

If you change the motor, the one linked above is the same - a direct replacement.

If you choose to change the belts at the same time - always good practice - they are >here<.

If you choose to rebuild the motor, the brushes are >here<, the bearings are >here< and in case of need, the bearing puller is >here<.

The decision to rebuild or replace must always the the choice of the individual engineer. It's worth considering also that motors, brushes, bearings, etc., are regarded as trade items; not retail. As such, they are sold on B2B terms, which means they are not returnable. It also means they dont carry a warranty from Sebo or us as we are unable to verify the expertise of the fitter, the surrounding components or see the usage environment.
Manchester Vacs Dyson and Sebo Engineer
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You accept/implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk. Dyson and Sebo Spares and Service

FFP2 N95 Face Masks

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration