The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele S4281: missing switch part  (Read 3097 times)

Offline macman

Miele S4281: missing switch part
« on: September 16, 2020, 04:15:17 pm »
ila_renderedila_rendered
I've got one of these in for repair with a reported intermittent fault: 'sometimes it runs, other times it doesn't'. I suspected a cable break: opened up the plug and it was broken on the live pin, with only intermittent contact. Cut the cable back 6 inches and rewired it, thinking that was the only problem.
I'd also been asked to clean and service it right through. Which I did, right down to stripping the motor and cleaning/rebuilding it. Very dirty, but no faults found.
After reassembly, it wouldn't run. Continuity all OK from plug to switch, no power to motor though. I looked at it again and then realised that on these, the plastic foot pedal actuator doesn't bear down directly on the switch: there is a linking plastic lever between the two that mounts into the switch/speed control housing, which is about an inch inboard of the pedal. Except there wasn't on mine: the part was missing. It wasn't there when I stripped it down, so I'm thinking that someone had been in there before and broken or lost it, so the only way to work it was to set the switch to permanently 'on' and then use the wall socket switch as the 'on/off' button. The owner doesn't know, as she was given it by a friend and hasn't used it since...
So, my question is: can anyone please help me identify this part and where I might find one? Miele parts diagrams are seemingly not available to us mere mortals, so I can't find a part number. Nothing on ebay that looks right either: I can't even find a broken donor machine. It doesn't help that I don't even know the name of the part or exactly what it looks like.
I think this model is also the same as the C1 Compact, so I'm hoping the part is common to the S4000 Galaxy Series maybe?
The first pic is from an S424i, but shows at right what I think this part may look like? The second pic is from an S4281 switch panel: the bit I'm missing locates into the little projecting tab area at bottom left.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram