The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC39 Issues  (Read 3953 times)

Offline PhilDowney

DC39 Issues
« on: January 08, 2021, 12:14:43 pm »
My problems started about a year ago. The filter seemed to get very dirty after two sessions of vacuuming. In the past I never had these issues. The knock on effect was that the turbo tool stopped picking up fluff from a carpet.

The next issue was a loud howling/bagpipe type noise. Sounds like an air leak. I have stripped the dust box right down and this is now clean. The turbo tool has been stripped down and is ok. I have checked all hoses for blockages and tears. The only thing I haven't done is check the HEPA filter.

Can anybody give me advice on this please?

Offline dysondestijl

Re: DC39 Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:32:27 pm »
There are a few things I could suggest,
When if you remove the hose from the machine itself, where it joins on to the machine, there is another very small hose which narrows as the dust travels through it, and blockages there are common. That may explain a change in motor noise, but would not explain the rapid soiling of the filter though. The only things I can suggest on that front is either one of the gaskets either on the bin (when you open the bin to empty, there should be two thick black seals on the end base of the bin, check these are both present) or a gasket inside the cyclone assembly is worn or torn. Finally you weren’t vacuuming any quantities of fine material such as plaster dust, ash or similar were you? These will soil the filter pretty quickly

Offline PhilDowney

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:09 am »
Thanks for reply. I did vacuum up a load of sawdust about 18 months ago. That was it. As far as I know that was it. I think all the hoses are clear but I will check the seals.

Offline PhilDowney

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 02:20:52 pm »
What I didn't mention was that the direction that the vacuum is facing can affect the noise it makes. On other words if the hose is pulled in a certain direction. Lifting by the handle can lessen the noise which tells me the air leak is from the top of the bin/filter box. I suspect that replacing this box may help but it is quite expensive as it is around a quarter of the price of a new machine. Lastly the tone of the motor seems to change towards the end of a vacuuming session. It reaches a higher tone which goes back to normal when the vacuum is restarted.

Offline dysondestijl

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 11:14:34 pm »
The squeak when lifting the vacuum is perfectly normal, as you are applying pressure to a part which has slight movement in it. As for the other noises, It’s hard to diagnose a noise without actually hearing it for yourself. If there’s any way you can upload a video, (you’d have to upload to YouTube and then link it here), that would help, if it were possible.
The way you describe the sound changing from start to finish of cleaning, could even be the filter becoming progressively more blocked as time goes on, which could be caused by the reasons stated in previous replies. I’d say it is bound to be an issue with the cyclone or bin, there’s not much else it can be, (and you’d no doubt have to change the filter at the same time too), however as you rightly say, those parts are pricey, and account to a substantial chunk of a new machine.

Offline PhilDowney

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 02:08:51 pm »
Here is an audio version on the file where I am pulling the hose to the left and back.

Offline dysondestijl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:52:07 pm »
That’s got me stumped really. Not sure what else to suggest! Sorry!

Offline PhilDowney

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 10:08:16 am »
Don't worry. I really appreciate your replies. Worth noting that both seals have a ring of dust around them that are visible through the clear plastic. This tells me that there is an air leak in both locations. I might try and buy a reconditioned dust box.

Offline PhilDowney

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 04:07:34 pm »
Anyway just after I posted here I tried to bypassed the filter by basically removing the cloth from the filter assembly to allow the air straight through. It was like a different machine, so powerful. This proved it was the filter. I put in a replacement and it was fine, but within a few cleans it was caked with dirt again. Seems I can't even do half the house without it clogging up. I read somewhere the rubber seals on the bin may have moved which causes this problem. Is this correct?

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration