The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Removing a DC39 HEPA Filter?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline macman

Removing a DC39 HEPA Filter?
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:29:40 pm »
I've got one of these apart for a motor replacement: full of plaster dust following a loan to our good friend Bob the Builder. The HEPA filter is also pretty bad, but I cannot see how to extract it. I've read the guide in the stickies, both beko's on the DC39 and the M Vacs one on the DC54. This one seems slightly different.
The motor bucket is split and the motor out. There is a Philips single screw holding the park bracket in, which I've removed. Then I've sprung the clips either side to release from the body shell, but there is something still holding it, I think under the handle area.
The sticky seems to show that more screws have to be removed from under the handle first, but it only opens about an inch and there is no room to get into the recess under there to do anything more.Help please.
When you do get these out, are they washable? At £35  time, I rather hope so.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Removing a DC39 HEPA Filter?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:41:31 am »
Yup, youve got to lift the handle more. If you look at the front edges, youll see the 2 tabs holding it down. Flick each out in turn and lift it right up. Then remove the 2 torx screws under there.

Once youve done that, and the 4 either edge ones and 1 each at the top of the wheel mount youve got to pop the big clips for the inner hepa bit off the outer shell. Then it all falls out.

Can be a sod to get back together though. Hope it all airlines out for you!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline macman

Re: Removing a DC39 HEPA Filter?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:24:54 pm »
Confession: I wimped out and cleaned the existing filter as well as I could in situ. Owner didn't want to shell out for a new HEPA anyway, and the motor replacement was a used one (£70+ for a new motor bucket assembly!), so hopefully it will do the job for as long as the replacement motor lasts.
I hardly ever fit used motors, but when I do, it's made clear to the customer that it comes with no guarantee as to how long it may last.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration