The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Moulinex E59 Vacuum Cleaner - Stripdown and Restoration (then hacking...)  (Read 6891 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Bonjour!

I say bonjour, because this topic is about a french vacuum from actual france! A kind member of the Autoshite forum who lives that way found it in a family members house, this one in fact

ila_rendered

The deal was done (I said yes, and paid the chap some postage) and he bought it back to the UK when he next came and posted it over to me!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The wands are a twist lock connection, with a little tiny thread cast into each end

ila_rendered

Floor tool first, which is a rather nice single pedal affair

ila_rendered

The sole plate isn't too bad either

ila_rendered

Remove the base plate

ila_rendered

And the one lint picker

ila_rendered

The brush layer comes out next, and is in excellent order

ila_rendered

As per alot of other floor tools, the rest is clipped together with this centre part

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then the pivot bar is held down on one side with this plastic piece

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The rest of it falls out at this stage

ila_rendered

And with thoughts turning to if they ever got the patents finalised

ila_rendered

We can move onto the hose

ila_rendered

Which all came apart very easily indeed

ila_rendered

Onto the main event!

ila_rendered

Open the tool door

ila_rendered

And remove it

ila_rendered

The tools can come out as well

ila_rendered

The tool door button pops out with a tab on either side

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Then the spring and retaining cage lift out

ila_rendered

Time to go a step deeper and open the bag door

Then remove it...

ila_rendered

The bag seal pulls off easily

ila_rendered

This part is the hinge assembly for the tool door, and lifts out with a little help from a DC04 switch removal tool

ila_rendered

Moving to the front of the cleaner now, the carry handle/bag door latch unscrews

ila_rendered

And the latch mechanism itself pops out with it's two springs

ila_rendered

Revealing the bag full indicator

ila_rendered

Which for a simple piston indicator is one of the fanciest I've seen! Let's start to take it apart, one side first

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The rest can come out now

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

We can move further towards the back now, and remove these screws and white bag door hinge brackets

ila_rendered

The rather peaky post motor filter slides out too

ila_rendered

Best take the pre motor filter out as well

ila_rendered

Which promptly fell apart on me

ila_rendered

Next out is the bag holder, needs a small bar removing to get out

ila_rendered

The bag locking tab has a spring underneath it

ila_rendered

and can be removed

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
After the distraction of the bag holder, we can flip the outer motor cover off since the 2 screws are already removed

ila_rendered

The pedals pull out from the casing

ila_rendered

The rubber pads even come off the pedals!

ila_rendered

Underneath the top cover we see some tabs.

ila_rendered

Some VERY careful prying and...

ila_rendered

the fancy cover comes away!

ila_rendered

Next we can get onto the electronics, and I will backtrack here as these photo's are from during the before video, when we fixed the machine. See I'd already got to this point

ila_rendered

Because in time honoured Miele fashion, a component had become violently part detached from the board, which killed the thing in the first place

ila_rendered

Now we are back there we can lift off the power take off socket for a presumably VERY RARE powerhead

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The switch is next

ila_rendered

It's see-through on one side, which is rather jolly

ila_rendered

Next, time to get into the motor itself

ila_rendered

Inner cover removed

ila_rendered

This forms part of the cord reel mechanism

ila_rendered

And comes out like so

ila_rendered

Then we get our first look at the motor and what a biggun it is

ila_rendered

The cord reel has no brake itself (that's what the previously removed parts are) so I lobbed a cable tie around it to stop it flinging itself to death under its own tension and lifted it out

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The cable exit guide fell out during this part too

ila_rendered

Back to the front AGAIN to remove the 2 screws holding on the big seal that goes all around the middle layer of the machine (I'm sure it made sense at the time...)

ila_rendered

Then the very sticky seal can be removed

ila_rendered

Nearly forgot the ratings plate shot, here it is!

ila_rendered

Front wheel comes off too

ila_rendered

Next, out comes the motor!

ila_rendered

Wiring reference shot

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Thermal cut out device on the neutral line

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The bearings are pretty cack on the motor so we need to see what we can do (spoiler alert, I  :censored: it up...) so out come the carbon brushes, lots of life left in those!

ila_rendered

Then the brush holders themselves

ila_rendered

Then the bolts holding the top housing on can be seen and removed

ila_rendered

Coil lifts off

ila_rendered

Then this hard foam spacer

ila_rendered

Moulinex made the motor itself too

ila_rendered

At some time before 1992

ila_rendered

The top bearing has a spacer/packer piece

ila_rendered

With the top end stripped, we can remove the fancase

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
And start to disassemble the fan assembly

ila_rendered

Middle section

ila_rendered

Then the lower fans

ila_rendered

But, try as I might, I could not get the armature out of the fancase bearing. I even shed blood trying as you can see, and ultimately bent it ever so slightly, which we will come back to later...

ila_rendered

I even faffed about removing this small bolted on part which turned out to just be a bearing shield and did not release the motor

ila_rendered

Hey ho. Everything was washed, polished, the metal parts run over the wire wheel and laid out the obligatory exploded diagram moneyshot!

ila_rendered

And straight back to the motor! I just filled the bearing with oil and let it soak in

ila_rendered

Nicely washed fans back on

ila_rendered

Centre piece back in

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Then the top fan and nut

ila_rendered

And the fancase finally

ila_rendered

Up top a nice new bearing was fitted

ila_rendered

And capped off

ila_rendered

Foam spacer

ila_rendered

Coil

ila_rendered

Then top housing

ila_rendered

Popped the carbon brush holders into their holders (yo, do you like holders?)

ila_rendered

And screwed them in

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Refitted all the wires

ila_rendered

Popped the seals on and put it to one side

ila_rendered

Back to some plastic fantastic

ila_rendered

Front wheel on

ila_rendered

Then back over

ila_rendered

And straight in with the main seal (I thought I'd removed it in a silly place before...)

ila_rendered

Screwed in nicely at the front

ila_rendered

Cable reel can be dropped in

ila_rendered

Then the motor can join it

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Refit the cable brake bar

ila_rendered

Then making sure all the wires are routed correctly, and tucking it into the rubber seal which was a massive sod the inner cover can go back on

ila_rendered

We'll start with the switch to get 2 wires out the way

ila_rendered

Then the board and power socket can go back down

ila_rendered

And all the wires run and plugged in

Vanity cover snapped back into the back top frame

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Pedal rubbers refitted to the pedals

ila_rendered

Then the pedals to the frame

ila_rendered

On to the front now, and the bag holder. I refitted the lock to the holder frame

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Then threaded the bar in to lock that to the main cleaner

ila_rendered

In time honoured tradition I cut up a cheap non genuine Miele pre motor filter for the pre motor filter

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and a non genuine active air clean post filter for the post filter!

ila_rendered

Then screwed the bag door hinges in

ila_rendered

Bag full indicator time now

ila_rendered

Assembled and fitted, it's very nice to work with compared to the crap Hoover used to use in the Compact (the competitor to this back in the day)

ila_rendered

I then fitted a new bag. Not a proper bag, as A - I couldn't find any and B - They would be single layered paper bags anyway, so I went for an upgrade

ila_rendered

Pushes onto the hose inlet moulding, needs the bag holder shoved out of the way for the bag door to close but it works well! Then the tool door latch was refitted

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Seems I only took one picture of the floor tool so here it is...

ila_rendered

and I got no pictures of the hose but imagine screwing the ends on to a very clean length of hose and you wont be far off! Once finished, waxed and buffed we have this!

ila_rendered

Not too sure why I took this photo but I did and here it is!

ila_rendered

And it looks brilliant, and does work well...

But, as time went on and I used it here and there it became apparent that (and back to the motor now) something was not right, and there was a deep vibrating resonance that could only be caused by me bending the armature ever so slightly... So I did the sensible thing and changed the motor!

It made it sounds awful, just like a Dyson but it was smooth and flipping powerful! I did keep the original motor though, and sitting here typing this I wonder if I might not try and straighten the armature out a tad and see if I can make it run better, but that crappy fancase bearing would still sound awful, so I might just leave it... Any suggestions/motivation?

Either way, thank you very much for reading, and if you have an old Moulinex vacuum, I'd love to see it!

:tiphat:

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram