The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: What is a "thread guard seal"...  (Read 3499 times)

Offline dieselbreeze

What is a "thread guard seal"...
« on: February 24, 2022, 06:11:16 pm »
...and do I need one?

Presently, I'm reassembling an agitator / brushroll for my Hoover Turbopower 2, model no. U2464. As a guide, I'm using an exploded parts diagram for a U2129, another Turbopower 2.

The diagram shows something called a "thread guard seal" sat in-between the guard and the end cap, labelled no. 603 in the diagram below. However, as far as I can tell, this seal hasn't cropped up among the parts I'm working with.

Unfortunately, other than what's in the diagram, I know nothing about this part. When I first took the agitator apart some time ago, I recall there being a layer of lint nestled inside the thread guard, which I took to be accumulated fluff and disposed of. I'm wondering now if it was the seal.

The alternative is that the seal wasn't used in my U2464. However, I'd assumed that all Turbpower 2 and 3 agitators were interchangeable. Apparently, the U2129 was the last ever Turbopower 2, significantly later than my U2464. Was the seal a late design addition?

If anyone could give me a clue as to what the seal looks like, whether it was used universally in the Turbopower 2 range, etc., it'd be a big help.

Offline dieselbreeze

Re: What is a "thread guard seal"...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 04:27:44 pm »
Anyone..?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: What is a "thread guard seal"...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:48:47 pm »
The thread guard seals (plastic cupped washers) were used for decades. Their not always fitted though, I don't always bother to fit the nos ones I've got either as it can jam the brushroll right up if their new and the correct shape... They might wear down over time and go smoother but I've never get that far!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram