The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to take apart the cyclone cylinder?  (Read 20039 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Is it possible to take apart the cyclone cylinder?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 07:40:42 pm »
The steps are above, the cyclone doesn't split further sadly. A good soak then rinse see's them right!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Halcyon

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 04:44:59 pm »
So basically these 3 steps should let me clean my cyclone and hopefully get rid of awful smell?
How long do you think guys it would need to dry? A week?
So I need T15 screwdriver?

Offline Grumpy Jim

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 12:07:03 am »
Can the cylinder including the fins be removed and this whole thing be taken apart for a total clean?
One video I watched showed that the fins can be removed by gently pulling. I have not been successful at doing that and I do not want to break this piece. I can still see dirt inside of the cylinder if I look down the holes. And then there are the little holes around the cylinder. I want to see what is in there! Can anyone help? Thanks much, Helen
Although this is a very old post, the subject matter is still very much in the zone where strip downs and refurbishment of difficult to access dirty filthy places are concerned.

I note that MV gives an instant reply and a few pics and gives the impression that the process is doable, needing very strong hands, and that they do it all the time on their refurbished DC07 machines. I really would like to see a You tube video from MV showing in great detail the full process of getting those fins off.

I have searched and searched and have only found ONE video by a young Irishman who did this video in a really thorough manner in his own way by trial and error, and was obviously his first attempt.
Name: Bootsowen.
Title: Dyson DC07 Cleaning the vortex cyclone and canister.

I congratulate him on his achievement and getting the job done WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE.
I followed the video piece by piece over and over, decided to have a go and FAILED MISERABLY. I could not budge those fins, even by using bull nose pliers and even a pair of mole grips.

My DC07 was a breaker so I was not too bothered, I just wanted the practice. I took the rubber bottom seal out as he did, thinking it would make it easier. Not so, I ended up doing damage to the rubber flap that has to be pushed out. I was harsh with it.

Finding out that the fins would still not give at all, I gave up to find that I could not get the rubber seal back in and did further damage to the seal. Solution to get it back together was to trim off part of the seal and glue it into place with my fish tank sealer. Ended up with just a thorough hot wash inside with fairy liquid and a really thorough dry out.

My conclusion is this:- There is a very good reason why there is only ONE SUCCESSFUL video out there, it is very difficult to do, so other you tubers are not doing it - far too risky. You may be lucky and get it done, you may try and fail, but if you fail and get it wrong and do damage it will cost you dearly for a replacement unit.

I could be wrong but if anyone tells you they do it on a regular basis, no problem, I would (to be kind) say take that with a pinch of salt.

I await a flood of links showing this procedure being carried out. I would love to be proved wrong on this as I would like to be able to do this seemingly impossible task just for the heck of it, and to say I have done that job, it's not so bad.

Catch you later when you are all of sound mind again after the heavy drinking session.

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram