The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele S7000 Series, Thermal Cut-Out Issue?  (Read 5890 times)

Offline macman

Miele S7000 Series, Thermal Cut-Out Issue?
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:13:13 am »
I've got one of these in for repair, the first Miele upright I've seen. It's enormous, feels like an SUV equivalent to Dyson's supermini size models!
It has been used without the bag retaining clip (seems to be a common issue, people unwittingly chuck 'em away when they change the bag). This means a lot of dust in the bag chamber, and, since the owner also cut the replacement pre-motor filter too small, a fair amount of that dust has lodged in the motor. It was reported as cutting out, then wouldn't start at all. The red overheat light is also on, so I thought that the TCO was either jammed with gunk, or burned out. It seems to be a common issue on these models.
I stripped the motor down, which wasn't too bad. Armature, brushes and commutator all look fine.The thermal cut-out was dusty, but no signs of burning. So I cleaned everything and rebuilt it. But it still won't start, red overheat light stays on.
Is it safe to say that I just need to replace the cut-out, or is there anything else it could be? And, if it is the cut-out, does anyone know where I might source one? The Miele part no is 7463591. Maybe buy a non-working motor and swap over the cut-out, they look similar on other Miele motors? Buying a new motor at £120+ is not really an option.

Offline macman

Re: Miele S7000 Series, Thermal Cut-Out Issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:54:56 pm »
Just a quick update on this. I stripped the motor down again to have another look at the cut-out, and realised there was a dry joint on the PCB, probably due to the overheat device being constantly triggered. My soldering skills are almost zero, but I managed to deposit a blob of solder in roughly the right place. It won't win any prizes for elegance, but it fixed the problem. The S7210 now runs fine again. I was quite pleased with myself, given that the cheapest (used) cut out I could find anywhere was nearly £40.
Having rebuilt it, I now have another issue: how exactly do you reattach the wheels so that they spring out all the way when the machine is upright? The cog alignment has to be spot on, but how? At present, the wheels do spring down, but not all the way, and the whole machine now leans over like a sailor on shore leave, or falls backwards.
I've been taking the wheels on and off all day and still can't see how to adjust this properly. Sam made reference to the same problem in his rebuild of a similar Miele upright, but I'm still in the dark. Can anyone help?

Offline Prestbury Vac Repairs

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:44:04 am »
I hate those miele uprights,

The wheels are a nightmare to get on correct , I have got one im sure kicking around with the scrap machines ill try and see what you need to align to get them back on correct when it goes a bit quiet.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:05:36 am »
sorry my machine has had wheels robbed.

Offline macman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 03:08:23 pm »
Thanks for trying. I did find that YouTube video, but unfortunately he doesn't really show how to get the correct alignment in any detail. Good idea to mark it with a felt tip pen though, I wish I'd seen that but before I dismantled it!

Offline macman

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 10:56:00 am »
I thought I'd try to get some tech support from Miele with this. After all, it's a premium brand, isn't it? After being shuffled around different extensions and cut off twice, I finally got through to someone who, after a further 10  minutes on hold, told me that they couldn't help me with this issue as 'the rear wheels aren't mentioned in the owner's manual and so we can't offer you any assistance in case you injure yourself'. When I pointed out that, if it was covered in the manual, I wouldn't have needed to phone Miele in the first place, all he could offer was an address in Liverpool where I could send it 'for repair'. I couldn't resist pointing out that changing the plug wasn't mentioned in the manual either, so if a customer needed to do that, should he send it to Liverpool also? Which met with a deafening silence.
Seriously though, for Miele UK to offer customer service as shoddy as this is not acceptable. I'm guessing that this is outsourced to a third party. Or do they assume that none of their well-off customers will ever want to self-repair and will simply book a repair service, or buy a new one? Grr.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 04:10:35 pm »
Its very much like that in the TV repair game to as soon as you ask for tech help from eg Sony first thing they say is are you service agents for us whats your account number.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram