The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: My DC14 "backfiring"  (Read 6318 times)

Offline lawrie7062

My DC14 "backfiring"
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:13:18 pm »
Hi, I've had my DC14 for a good few years now (close to 10 probably) so should maybe just retire it. Last week when using it, it, started to, what I can only describe as, "backfire" almost like it wouldn't kick into action and coughed and spluttered  its way round the living room not doing very much. Has anyone else experienced this that could tell me if it sounds like the motor has burnt out or if it could be the switch (which feels rather limp).

Thanks in advance for helping a new poster.

PS my wifes hair keeps clogging up the brush bar which probably doesn't help it run smoothly.

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
Re: My DC14 "backfiring"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:43 pm »
Hello lawrie7062. Yes, that does sound rather like the motor is due to expire. Was there any burning smells or popping noises?

Offline MikeR

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:20:51 am »
Hi,

It may just be the carbon brushes worn. However, if one only is worn down it is a sign that the motor needs to be replaced. Motors are quite cheap so worth replacing.

Keith

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:46:04 am »
Hi Lawrie, this is almost definately the motor brushes being worn down. Relace them without delay because if the brushes wear so far down that the brush retainer comes in contact with the commutator (segmented part on motor that brushes come in contact with) this will without doubt render the motor defunct.
Also while you have brushes out, polish the segments with glass paper, NOT emery paper (even fine emery) as this is too course and will groove the copper segments and cause burn marks which causes bad contact from commutator to the brushes.
Hope this rectifies your problem

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration