The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC33C origin extra floor suction not enough  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Davide1970

DC33C origin extra floor suction not enough
« on: January 03, 2024, 09:46:38 pm »
Hello everyone

I have a problem with my Mother in law''s DC33C !
It is an old machine (2014) wich has working pretty good till couple of months ago.
The vacuum machine, has been both as a second hand, for this reason we are not allowed to ask the spare parts do the official DYSON web site!
Anyway  since couple of moths ago the head of the machine does not stick properly to the floor;
As a test I dismounted and cleaned the Cyclone, put it new filter, check all hosses obstrucions.... No way on the head there is not enough power suction .
I completely dismounted the motor bucket, and noticed two different glass fiber filter, wich normally should be white, but in fact they were totally black !!!
Tried to  blow them by air pressure, several time, but no improuvment has been found .
Motor runs correctly and doesn't generate sparks while is turning.
Please tell what can be the reason of the power suction lost .

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: DC33C origin extra floor suction not enough
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 01:42:27 pm »
Hi!

It's certainly very common for them to loose performance over time, although how it happens can depend on several things...

I'd start with the lower hose, if you say the suction from the wand is fine. If you look under the machine you'll see a clear hose running fromt he cleaner head to below the changeover valve. This hose also forms the main 'spring' for the cleanerhead, pushing it down on the carpet. Their known to perish/go soft which stops pushing the head down.

I'd look at fitting a new lower hose, and replacing both filters (new ones are cheap) if it's been many years since it was done. The post motor filter (the one you describe as black) will be full of the carbon dust that's worn off the motor brushes with use, and will impede airflow!

Also, silly question but does the machine have brush control/a clutch? (front-left as you look at the vac), and if so is it 'On' when the machine is reclined? IE the brushroll is spinning isnt it? Machine wont pick up anything if not.

Good luck 🤞
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Davide1970

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 11:55:15 am »
Hello

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer !

Bout this suggestion :

If you look under the machine you'll see a clear hose running fromt he cleaner head to below the changeover valve.

I really don't understand where is actually located ....
do you have some picture ?

does the machine have brush control/a clutch? (front-left as you look at the vac)

No  I have only the normal brush .

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 12:20:08 pm »
Having re-read your post, my advice is for an upright not a cylinder 😂 I think you meant DC28c, not 33!

Let me try again with stuff that might make sense...

1 - The tiny hose right at the front of the machine, behind where the main hose clicks into, that is 100% clear isn't it?

2 - Sounds like you've been inside it which is good (there's a refurb thread on the forum if you get stuck) and have found the dreaded inner post motor filter. It's made of the most fragile material EVER, don't touch it if you can help it. I use an air blower (old 1950's paint psrayer with a 1600w dyson motor in 👌) to blow as much crap off as I can and thats about as good as you can do. Brand new filters are available but I don't think their easy to fit at all, possibly impossible...

3 - If you've thoroughly washed and dried the top filter that sits in the cyclone, and your sure the cyclone itself isn't gummed up with fine dust, you could run some tests. If you remove the cyclone, then push the top handle back down so it clicks down, turn the machine on. You should get good, strong suction from that opening there. Refit the cyclone, take the hose off and you should get mostly the same power from that opening. Repeat down all the tools and hope there's a clog somewhere...

Also which floor head do you have? Does it have a brushroll? Dyson had about 19 different variants of head out on all the cylinders over their run so a pic might help answer that question!

I hope the above makes more sense. This thread https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,2313.0.html covers a different machine that's 90% the same so should point you in the right direction.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Davide1970

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 08:14:17 pm »
Hello

Thanks a lot to named me cildren at 53 years old  :)  :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

The type of machine mentioned before is DC 33  see attashed pictures .

Yes I was able to open internally the motor and after many times washing of that filters, I decided to use something similar .

The floor head that I used is without brushroll, see the picture .

Regards

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram