The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC40 - vacuum shuts off after 5-15 min, starts working 1-2 hour later  (Read 377 times)

Offline invisible

Given: DC40 that served us for good amount of time, until tenants ruined it. After they moved out we discovered it is in completely non-working condition.

Every single freaking part was clogged with dog hair - canister, upper hose, lower under the ball hose, brush was not rotating. it took me 2 hours to completely disassemble, clean and re-assemble it.

I washed the canister and replaced filters with brand new ones. It started working again - great suction when it runs - both on carpet/rotating brush mode, as well as thru the hose. Picks up everything.

Now the problem - shut downs after 5-15 of working - motor just stops and there is complete silence. Unpluging/re-plugging does not help. Moving to another power outlet - does not help. I can confirm that there is reliable current/voltage supply. If I switch into carpet cleaning mode, the brush starts rotating. There is no suction or motor noise when brush starts rotating.

So I am assuming it is a thermal shutdown problem and when touching the ball, it is quite warm.
My extesive search over internet (did not know about this forum) found only this thread
https://www.fixya.com/support/t26537094-dyson_dc40_gets_hot_shuts_off_start

But it was aslo mentioned that overheating might be due to clogging. I don't see that happening in my case - just checked (after it shut down itself couple of hours ago). There is really good suction and again, hoses are clean.

So what I think it might be due to thermal protection fuse. This thread below indicating the same and mentioned in the thread that the problem was gone after fuse replacment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VacuumCleaners/comments/djogu2/overheating_problem_with_a_dyson_dc39_ball/

If this really my case as well, could you please point me how to properly replace the the fuse and what would be the right part number for the replacement?

I guess I can get from Aliexpress pretty much anything.

And if it is NOT thermal fuse then what?

Thanks in advance.

Offline invisible

Re: DC40 - vacuum shuts off after 5-15 min, starts working 1-2 hour later
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 04:23:14 am »
P.S. Serial number is ET2-US-FAS1844A - don't know if this helps.

Offline macman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 01:03:43 pm »
Still got a blockage somewhere that is restricting the airflow? But must be fairly minor if it runs for 15 mins before shutting down.

Offline invisible

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 07:02:29 pm »
Still got a blockage somewhere that is restricting the airflow? But must be fairly minor if it runs for 15 mins before shutting down.
Where blockage can be? Canister is clean, all hoses are clean... But the ball gets hot fairly quickly. Where can I check?

Offline macman

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 07:07:31 pm »
Try it with the HEPA filter removed. If OK, the filter is clogged.
Checked the internal ducting, changeover valve, bottom hose? Hot washed the cyclone?

Offline invisible

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 08:01:27 pm »
Guess I have to do all this...

If it does not help, would you recommend to replace thermal fuze? Should fuse replacment lead to reduced ball heating?

Offline macman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 08:42:36 pm »
If you have done none of those things, then you have no idea if the airpath is  clear or not.
Don't think the thermal fuse is the problem here,:check the simple stuff first.

Offline invisible

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 09:49:42 pm »
check the simple stuff first.

As always... thanks.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram