The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Bad clutch?  (Read 4802 times)

Offline tazzip

Bad clutch?
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:53:46 am »
While I was vacuuming on Sat, my DC07 suddenly starting making a loud ratcheting noise, which I know normally indicates a blockage.  I had cut the hair off the roller prior to starting, but I cut off the new accumulation & tried again.  It still made the noise.  I then removed the face plate, further cleaned out the hair, including some accumulation under the belt, & tried turning it on again.  Still making the noise.  I turned it off & tried turning the roller by hand.  It would turn fine a few revolutions, then the belt would stop turning & the roller would turn without the belt moving.  I called Dyson service tonight & the representative, after having me twist the clutch back & forth ~15 times, had me turn it on while it was on it's side (but in the reclined position).  The brush bar was not turning at all & after about 3-5 seconds it started making the horrid ratcheting noise again.  He suggested taking it to a service repair shop & indicated it was probably a faulty clutch.  If that is the case, what kind of bill can I expect for the repair?  Is it possible that it is just the belt that needs to be replaced?  I plan on taking it in to the shop tomorrow but wanted to see if anybody else had experienced this problem first.  Thanks!

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
Re: Bad clutch?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
If it is the clutch, most people find it more expedient to change the clutch unit itself than the individual belts. In the UK they run at about £20 plus a nominal labour charge of perhaps the same again.

If you plan to DIY, it is one of many procedures covered in my book.

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration