The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson CR01 what to check before thinking the bearings has gone.  (Read 7780 times)

Offline Danielandthelions

Dyson CR01 what to check before thinking the bearings has gone.
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »
Hello,

I have noted that, if the bearing seal is intact on these machines, the bearing will last almost forever and it is by no means the problem people often think it is.

It is of high quality and while a Dyson drum may seem heavy, it is small compared to a sports cars weight and what this bearing was originally designed to hold up.

I would first check that the drum is indeed loose, open the doors and try to lift the metal drum assy up and down. If you can feel any slack then you are probably correct, the bearing has failed.

Please note, the movement of the whole tub assy, when you push the drum about isn't the same thing and completely normal.

The other common issue is the whole tub assy touching the front casing. This happens particularly when in spin, this rubs on the rubber seal, jolting the tub and making the assy rotate as if there is a bearing issue, the tub moves excessively and noisily too.

This can be cured very simply, as the machine just isn't level. Just lengthening the front feet a bit, so that the tub sits further back in the chassis. This small adjustment completely cures what looks like a catastrophic bearing problem, to once again have near silent operation.

While Calgon is a waste of time on a normal machine, it is wise to use it on a cr01, as to remove any lime-scale build-up on the yellow slip bearing separating the drums.

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
Re: Dyson CR01 what to check before thinking the bearings has gone.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:19 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing a few photos next time you strip one of these down if possible. I am tempted to get one.

Offline Danielandthelions

Re: Dyson CR01 what to check before thinking the bearings has gone.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:55:23 am »
Hello,

I'm not planning on stripping down my one again for a long time - I hope :-)

But on this site you can get all the help you need. I am a mere amateur compared to some!

But they aren't too bad to work on too -as long as you have the right tools (particularly that big locking nut on the back).

They are very heavy though and don't use a hammer if something looks stuck, the tolerances are pretty tight and if you do, things don't go back on!

Here a are a few pictures to show mine in bits and as long as that bearing seal is in good condition, I would think the bearing will be fine too.

PS don't take it apart unless you really need to too.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram