The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Fitting New Carbon Brushes To A YDK Motor  (Read 11710 times)

Offline smokie1010

Fitting New Carbon Brushes To A YDK Motor
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »
Hi,
I noticed on your Manchester Vac's website that you sell the Carbon Brushes for the YDK Motor.
I would love to know how, after soldering them into the old holders and refitting to the motor, you get these to work without sparks flying everywhere.  :'(
I'm not using duff motors either. I'm using motors that work ok with the old Carbon Brushes in but on checking them they are very short and will need replacing soon. The armature is also okay on these motors but despite trying I cannot get these new Carbon Brushes to work without sparks flying everywhere.
It is even more baffling as I have in the past replaced Carbon Brushes in Washing Machine Motors etc but never had a problem with Sparking afterwards.
I have also bought the Dyson Repair Book but it doesnt mention about changing the Carbon Brushes in there.
Help, please

Offline Vacuum Cleaner House

Re: Fitting New Carbon Brushes To A YDK Motor
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:37:25 am »
First inspect the segments of the com, if even one is discoloured or has pitting on its edges the motor is finished. remember washing machine motors are just that , big heavy washing machine motors and only spin between 1000 -5000 rpm, vacuum motors like those found in a dyson spin around the 30 000 rpm mark.

Other than that you need to get a com stick, its a white chalk like material that is used to seat the brushes
Owner of Vacuum Cleaner House, Full service vacuum shop in Cape Town South Africa

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration