The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC14 - Motor Inlet Cover Catch - How to remove / replace?  (Read 8883 times)

Offline Duncan Disorderly

DC14 - Motor Inlet Cover Catch - How to remove / replace?
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:45:40 am »
Hi.

Just got a used DC14 and the Motor Cover Inlet Catch is broken, in that there is a small bit of it left, wedged in the vac and I need to fit a new catch to stop the cover falling off!

Firstly, how does the new catch fit into the groove please? - does it slide in/out or pull up?  (I'm guessing that removal of the broken bit will be a reversal) and
B) Should there be a filter behind this cover?

Many thanks

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: DC14 - Motor Inlet Cover Catch - How to remove / replace?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »
Hi.

Just got a used DC14 and the Motor Cover Inlet Catch is broken, in that there is a small bit of it left, wedged in the vac and I need to fit a new catch to stop the cover falling off!

Firstly, how does the new catch fit into the groove please? - does it slide in/out or pull up?  (I'm guessing that removal of the broken bit will be a reversal) and
B) Should there be a filter behind this cover?

Many thanks

The new catch pushes in from the top but you will probably need to remove the old broken piece first.

To do this you need to remove what they call  the exhaust pipe - the little piece of pipe that the cover connects to. Turn the DC14 upside down and you will see a screw that holds it in place. Remove this and the pipe should pull out. While it's upside down you will see a little slot (underneath where you removed the exhaust pipe from) that you can push the remainder of the clip out using a flat head screwdriver and a couple of taps with the palm of your hand.

No there is no filter in the side cover (like there was on the DC07) - it's in the top of the cyclone on the DC14

Hope that helps  :thumbsup:

Offline Duncan Disorderly

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
Russ, thanks a million for your reply  :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

- I followed your instructs and got the old broken bit out, though it took a hammer blow!  :snivel:

Top geezer :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Offline Marv

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »
On my DC14 model there are two screws, the obvious one and another deep inside a plastic 'tunnel' underneath.  That one needs to be unscrewed enough to allow the motor housing to open slightly so that the pipe, which is clipped underneath it, can be removed.

Replace the pipe before fitting the new clip.

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration