The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson ‘special offer’ telephone calls are a scam.  (Read 94114 times)

Offline action2249

Re: Dyson ‘special offer’ telephone calls are a scam.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »
beware they have gone into Kirby sales Oreck servcing

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 05:29:41 pm »
Anyone who saw the recent edition of BBC Watchdog will have seen the feature once more on the usual rogue cold-calling, Dyson repair company in Fleet, Hampshire. They are currently called UK Vac Services Ltd, also referred to in the feature as Appliance Service Direct Ltd.

However, Watchdog also showed you how to blow up your DC07 by installing a wet filter.  :biglaugh:

There is an article on the blog here: BBC Watchdog Item on Dyson Repairer Appliance Service Direct Ltd

Offline J Barlow Servicing

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 02:20:54 pm »
By way of introduction my name is John Barlow from J Barlow Servicing Ltd. We are an established  vacuum cleaner repair shop  based on the Salford side of Manchester and have been servicing vacuums since 1979.   The bad exposure to the company in question on the ‘Rogue traders’  TV program has come as no surprise to me and I would suggest they are just one of a number of companies that operate with similar bad practices. I myself have had one of their former engineers (and I use the term ‘engineer’ very  loosely) come into my Salford shop and try to sell me all his Dyson stock when he had basically in his words “Had enough of ripping customers off”. 

The bad exposure to these companies that advertise cheap in home  services is very welcoming to the likes of Barlow’s and other reputable shops like us. However, I sincerely hope that customers in general recognise there is a huge difference between established reputable shops that deal with customers over the counter and these fly by night merchants who are only contactable via a phone number.  If we suggest it is necessary to change a component then it most certainly is!  … The whole sale over charging parts that are not needed is quite simply unacceptable and consistent with a company that is here for today for the quick buck and not looking to build a good reputation and good customer base for a long term future.   

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 09:45:23 pm »
I agree with all of the above!

I buy old Dysons and refurbish them for a bit of beer money, and offer a repair service and wouldn't use any of their tactics!

From the Watchdog episode:

The white post motor filter looked fine. If it was billowing out dust I would recommend a change, but for a 15 year old filter it looked great! (I would suggest it wasn't the original filter...). If your filter looks like that, then don't worry. In fact it displays a healthy motor as it wasn't black with carbon dust.

The clutch belts rarely get so stretched they die completely. They either snap or sustain other damage. I always fit new belts to any returns or machines I sell out of good practise. However when fitting them to refurbs they are so cheap per set it doesn't add much to the overall cost. I had occasion with a DC04 I did once to say I hadn't changed them, as comparing them with new belts showed they were fine!

Brushrolls. They do wear, but you will notice it! Do the bristles protrude further than the base plate? Then its fine. Ifntheremnis hair wrapped around it them take the base plate off and spend 10 minutes with a Stanley knife cleaning it up! Some of the better brushroll from the bulk abused machines I buy have been the ones wrapped in hair as the bristles have been protected and held straight!

I hope people aren't scared of repairing their own machine! Post your issue on here if you don't find the answer on another thread, talk to mvacs for the parts and don't get ripped off!

Oh, buy another per motor filter. That way whilst one is drying for a day after being washed as per the Medic post you can carry on cleaning! Pattern ones are fine, I've never had an issue with pattern parts in general tbh, on dysons right back to my per ww2 Hoovers which wear pattern belts as genuine ones are so rare!

Sorry for going on, but it annoiys me when people get ripped off about vacs and cars!

Sam - Vacuum refurbisher and collector!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Whistle Blower

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 11:01:51 pm »
Hi all,
I would introduce myself to this forum, but as this is an open forum, I would be liable to prosecution by the scammers ( farcical law system). I would like to clear this thread up, I have been featured on BBC fake Britain as a whistle blower, providing inside information from the inside of Kirby HQ in Ireland, which ' in my opinion' is scam central for this whole scheme. But please don't take my word for it do your own research. Feel free to google Kirby Service Centre in the local area you suspect the Dyson service centre scams to be.. You might be surprised to find they are at the same address or next door to each other.  ***As this is not a statement of facts, I trust you will research your own opinion from this information given ***I could however even provide internal data base files tying in the two companies for those who wish fulfill their research.

Thank You! To MCV for allowing a non bias uncensored open forum.

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 11:04:56 am »
Hi WB & welcome, unfortunately this sort of scum seem to be everywhere.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline bluebumble485

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 04:21:03 pm »
my wife had a call yesterday our dyson is due  a service its only £40
she stopped them there I wish it was me I would have asked a lot of questions
so all beware

Offline Madrat

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 07:55:55 pm »
 :censored:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:51 pm »
God I hope one calls me up! Id have more fun than the 'Hi,  Im from Microsoft' calls...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 11:28:36 pm »
Haha same! ;D

Offline Tech12

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:46 am »
Where, one wonders are they getting information on Dyson's customers ?. Or is the thinking that these are totally speculative calls ?.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 09:20:12 am »
I'd say speculative. The odds must be quite high of people having one.

I'd act dumb and call the Vax V2300c I have in a 'Dyson', see what happens!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 10:59:15 am »
 Now see, that's the bit I have a problem with. If these calls are all speculative, then they must be making hundreds a week to people that don't have Dyson's. As this has been going on for a good while, it seems strange that there hasn't been a massive hoo ha in the press about these people contacting non Dyson owners. Any story that I've read always seems to relate to an actual Dyson owner.
Might be wrong but haven't there also been reports of these "Scammers" asking for a specific customer by name ?.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »
Its likely cos 1 in 3 UK homes own a Dyson

Offline Tech12

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 02:19:25 pm »
Its likely cos 1 in 3 UK homes own a Dyson

Where did those figures come from ?.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram