The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC 25 roller brush works but does not stay on alone  (Read 15756 times)

Offline sddyson

DC 25 roller brush works but does not stay on alone
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:51:16 am »
The roller brush on my DC 25 works if I keep the button pressed, however if I let go of the button is stops working. What could be the problem?

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
Re: DC 25 roller brush works but does not stay on alone
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:19:48 am »
Under the brush control button by the power switch is two switches. One is a reset, one is a standard power switch same as the main power switch.

You are looking at this one:

It likely wont be staying down like it should. I have one here today doing the same.

You can get from here: Dyson DC25 spares.
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline notatallcreepy

Re: DC 25 roller brush works but does not stay on alone
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:53:29 am »
Dyson Tech may certainly be right.

Try bypassing the brush toggle (the middle switch in the above picture); if the brushes stay on, the switch is bad.
However if you still have the same problem, it may be the reset switch.
It's the far left button in the above picture and it looks like this:
ila_rendered

Now, you could probably get a new switch, but do you really need that switch?
All it does is return the brushbar to the default state when you turn of the vacuum and return the handle to full, upright position.
I say just bypass it.

To do that, disconnect the two leads from that switch.
One goes down to the brush head.
The other goes to the middle switch; it's a short wire, about 8 cm long.
Disconnect the other end of that one from the middle switch.

At this point, you'll have one open post on the brushbar toggle, one wire that comes from the brush head, and one short wire that's not connected to anything.

It would be great if you could simply connect the wire that goes down to the brush head directly to the post on the brushbar toggle.
Unfortunately, you'll notice the connector on that wire is too small for the post on the middle switch.
So you'll need to either cut that connector off and put on a new one (you could use the connector from the short wire), or connect the wire from the head to the smaller end of the short wire.
This is what I did in case I ever decide to replace the reset switch.
Likewise, I let the reset switch in it's location so I know what to order if needed.

In the end, this is what I have:
ila_rendered

If you leave the brushbar off when you power off the vacuum, it will still be off the next time you use it.
Other than that, everything will work the way it always has.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram