The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC07 Motor Sparking  (Read 11093 times)

Offline macman

DC07 Motor Sparking
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:21:45 am »
What level of sparking is acceptable from a YDK motor? I acquired a DC07 recently with an apparently blown motor. I fitted a new after-market motor, but then decided to inspect the old one a bit more closely. It was dead, but powered up OK once new brushes were fitted (the old ones were badly worn down) and the commutator cleaned-it wasn't badly scored. However, there is some 'localised' sparking between brushes and comm visible when bench testing it. Other than that it seems to run OK. Is this acceptable/normal, or is it likely to fail again fairly quickly?
There seem to be two schools of thought as to whether brush changes are worthwhile.

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: DC07 Motor Sparking
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:54 am »
What level of sparking is acceptable from a YDK motor? I acquired a DC07 recently with an apparently blown motor. I fitted a new after-market motor, but then decided to inspect the old one a bit more closely. It was dead, but powered up OK once new brushes were fitted (the old ones were badly worn down) and the commutator cleaned-it wasn't badly scored. However, there is some 'localised' sparking between brushes and comm visible when bench testing it. Other than that it seems to run OK. Is this acceptable/normal, or is it likely to fail again fairly quickly?
There seem to be two schools of thought as to whether brush changes are worthwhile.

If the sparking is continuous after switch on then I would say the motor is only good for the bin I'm afraid. There should be a small amount of sparks initially after powering on, but if it's a healthy motor these should die down to virtually nothing straight away.

If the motor is already sparking then changing the brushes is a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted IMO - if however you have a good motor and the brushes are getting a bit on the low side, then it's prudent to replace the brushes as it will extend the motor's life.

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:48 pm »

If the sparking is continuous after switch on then I would say the motor is only good for the bin I'm afraid. There should be a small amount of sparks initially after powering on, but if it's a healthy motor these should die down to virtually nothing straight away.

If the motor is already sparking then changing the brushes is a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted IMO - if however you have a good motor and the brushes are getting a bit on the low side, then it's prudent to replace the brushes as it will extend the motor's life.

What he said

I never bother changing brushes any more for this reason.

Offline bluebumble485

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »
i agree waste of time and money
just change the motor they are cheap enough

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram