The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: dc17's clattering  (Read 6845 times)

Offline sgull

dc17's clattering
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »
Hi.  Where I work as a maintenance person we have two model DC17 Dysons.  Recently one of them, and now the other, have a horridly annoying noise during operation when the brush bar is running.  The vacuums function okay otherwise, except for the noise of which can be heard during this video which I made to help describe the issue.
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb153/sgull1/?action=view&current=8044fad6.mp4
I've checked and double-checked the brushbar belt of each unit and they are fine.  No debris or foreign object upon inspection of brushbar areas.  Nothing obviously loose under there either.  Noise seems to disappear sometimes depending on position at which handle is slanted (sometimes if handle is held down in a low position as if you were either a very short person or trying to run the vacuum under something low, the noise disappears, but when positioned back up in normal operational height the noise will occur, as though that slight shifting of center of gravity makes a difference).
I'd need to be able to fix this myself, hopefully with some diagnosis and explanation from someone here who might know what's going on with these. Thanks for any comments/advice. 

Offline Angus Black

• Dyson Medic
Re: dc17's clattering
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:29:44 pm »
For the ease of others, I embedded the vid here:

I am still thinking on that noise........

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Offline sgull

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »
Thanks Angus.  Any ideas yet?  It'd be sure be great to get this noise stopped.  Not using the machines until can get the issue fixed.

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »
Try one with the brush bar removed to see if it still makes the noise. This should tell us if it is brush bar or motor related.
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline sgull

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:02 pm »
Okay, I tried one with the brushbar removed, but brushbar motor switch turned on, and it does not make the noise then.  Double checking, with the brushbar installed again, it looks as though the ends of the brushbar are correctly inserted in the slots, and I cannot detect any mis-installation of the brushbar otherwise.

Offline sgull

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »
Okay I discovered the problem now.  Upon close inspection I could see that the edges of the brushbar plastic ends that fit into the slots on the machine had some of the plastic worn away, causing excessive play/vibration at that location when the brushbar is running.  So for now I filled in excessive space there with a few small strips of duct tape and this eliminates the play/vibration and the noise also.  Thanks for replies here.  :thumbsup:

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration