The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: dc17 belt size?  (Read 7506 times)

Offline sgull

dc17 belt size?
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:27:22 am »
Can somebody clarify to me the "size" of the belt needed to fit onto the brushbar of the DC17.  I came across a post (can't find it again) where somebody said they replaced their brushbar but the brushbar was the "newer style" that apparently takes a 10 mm size belt whereas the original brushbar which was replaced takes an 8 mm size belt.  thanks

Offline tammyt1722

Re: dc17 belt size?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:38:37 pm »
I read that too. It's posted on the 3rd page of forum 1 page down titled:
USA DC17 Animal with rattling brushbar
Started by Millcreek.
Seems like if you have the old one it's 8mm, if you get a new brushbar you need the 10mm. I just ordered one from amazon and cheapest I could find. But I read somewhere else that the 8mm is not the right size and that's why they make noise and you need to replace with a 10mm. So I ordered the 10mm and going to put it on will let you know.
Also, after reading about this particular model it was made in the US. I have a dc14 Animal and it is by far better than dc17. The suction is soooo much better and have never had a problem with it.  I have had it for about 5 years and I clean houses so it gets used everyday......ALOT! It's not as loud and the wand can litterly suck up a t shirt in a heart beat.
I found out that is another filter on the side on dc17 that never knew about. Some say you never have to clean it but I took it out and well it needs a new one. You really can't wash it.
Sure hopes this helps :tiphat:

Offline sgull

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:04:13 pm »
Yes, thanks that helps.  I replaced the brushbar on the DC17 animal I use, and I did double-check to make sure the replacement belt(s) I had for it were indeed the 10mm.  Plus I called Dyson customer service person about it and I think I understood him to say they changed the original belt size which was 8mm up to 10mm instead now. 
You mention on your DC17 there's a filter somewhere "on the side" that most people don't know about?  On my DC17 I really cannot locate such a filter "on the side".  So I'm unclear about what it is you're referring to in that regard.

Offline tammyt1722

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:13 pm »
You have take a screw out to get to it (Phillip's  screwdriver not the torque screw).
It's at the bottom, so if you are at the back of vac it's on left.  On page 4 of forum is digram of where the filter is. It's part 31.
Hope this helps :icon_nod:

Offline tammyt1722

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:25 pm »
Let me know if ya found it.

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram