The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC01 collecting clumps of dirt in motor housing & pre-motor filter  (Read 5933 times)

Offline trafficisland

I have a DC01 vacuum and changed the motor recently. Since then there has been large clumps of dirt and dog hair building up in the pre motor filter compartment (accumulating on the side of the filter that's closest to the outside of the Dyson).

I dissembled it, thinking that a seal hadn't been made somewhere when I put it back together, only to find that the motor compartment was also full of fluff and dog hair. I cleaned it out, ran the motor without reassembling and everything seemed fine. As soon as I put it back together and ran it for a few seconds however (without actually vacuuming the floor) the dog hair and dirt built up behind the filter cage again instantly. I have no clue where it might be coming from other than if it's being sucked back out of the bin.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

Offline macman

Re: DC01 collecting clumps of dirt in motor housing & pre-motor filter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »
Cold it be old debris that was lodged in the internal airways that is now being sucked through due to the greatly improved suction of the new motor?
Presumably if you changed the motor you also changed both filters, so that would also have improved suction.
If you empty the cyclone bin and then vacuum, is debris then accumulating in the bin?

Offline trafficisland

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:57:45 am »
Hi macman, thanks for the reply. I have checked that all the airways are clear, including the top cyclone. Debris is going into the canister fine. The suction is definitely stronger but the filters are getting caked in dirt within a few seconds of running the machine, even while no actual vacuuming is going on. I'm having to pull out the clumps of fluff from the filter compartment each time with a pair of long nose pliers. I'm at an absolute loss about why it's happening or where all the dirt is coming from.

Offline macman

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »
What happens if you remove the cyclone and run it for a few minutes? If no clogging, then the debris must be coming from the cyclone, so you'll need to strip it and pressure wash or steam clean.

DC01 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram