The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC24 motor resistance  (Read 9553 times)

Offline get it fixed

DC24 motor resistance
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »
HI, the brush motor on our DC24 is not working, tested the PCB and theres no output so fair to say that this needs replacing. Im just worried that i dont know why this has failed and therefore could happen again. Does anyone know what the resistance on the motor should be, its reading o ohms on my meter but this could be correct. As its 240v DC i have no way of testing! Can anyone advise before i order a repalcement PCB?   

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: DC24 motor resistance
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »
HI, the brush motor on our DC24 is not working, tested the PCB and theres no output so fair to say that this needs replacing. Im just worried that i dont know why this has failed and therefore could happen again. Does anyone know what the resistance on the motor should be, its reading o ohms on my meter but this could be correct. As its 240v DC i have no way of testing! Can anyone advise before i order a repalcement PCB?

Just a quickie suggestion before you order any parts - have you tried the red reset button on the side of the cleanerhead?

Amazing how many people don't know about it!

Offline get it fixed

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:46:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion but yes did try the reset and tested the red button and its a closed circuit on my meter so should be ok?
Any tests i can do on the motor without putting 240v DC on it on any other suggestions?

Offline BAW30s

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 06:28:19 pm »
Hi, I came across this thread almost four years after the last post while wanting to check a Dyson motor's DC resistance myself.
In case it helps anyone else, I eventually found that the DC07 repair manual is easily available on-line (unlike the DC24's) and it gives the motor resistance as 3 ohms (surprisingly low).

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:30:16 am »
sorry to be a killjoy,  but the brushroll motor on a dc24 could not be more different to the main motor on a dc07! please don't troubleshoot a 24 from the 07 service book!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline BAW30s

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:35:09 am »
UInderstood!  It's just that anyone searching "Dyson motor resistance" on the web will find this page, as I did, so I thought it might be helpful in future.  Incidentally, I have just installed new brushes in my DC07 motor and they are flaring horribly.  Should I run the motor on the bench for short periods in the hope that they will bed in?  I would appreciate suggestions.  I'll try to post in the right threads after this...

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:13:29 pm »
aah I see! Well I don't know what they should be tbh,  but I know they will be different!

the excessive sparking will be a worn comm (the bit the brushes run against). their only really built to run for the life of the carbon brushes,  maybe less. On a nice old low wattage Hoover motor I'd say replace the brushes,  on a modern screamer 1400w Chinese motor (as even genuine dyson motors are Chinese made),  I'd put a new one in.  for the price,  you've got another 10 years of use for £25!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 12:56:21 pm »
What he said,

Offline BAW30s

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:24 pm »
Just as a late postscript, thanks for the advice: I had already ordered the brushes, so I tried them, but you were absolutely right, they didn't help.  Probably as you say the commutator was worn, as the current being drawn seemed low rather than high.  I obtained a new replacement motor at a very reasonable price and it's been fine.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration