The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC11  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Sleaford White

DC11
« on: December 18, 2012, 03:10:38 pm »
I've recently aquired a DC11 very cheaply for the sole purpose of vaccing the cars. I've given it a good seeing to and the suction is brilliant.
The problem I've got is that the power cord has been cut and is about 4 inches long.

So the question I ask is will a cable/recoil mechanism for another cylinder model fit a DC11???

Also, any advice on changing the recoil mechanism would be very welcome as I usually only play with older uprights.

Thanks in advance,

SW

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: DC11
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »
I've recently aquired a DC11 very cheaply for the sole purpose of vaccing the cars. I've given it a good seeing to and the suction is brilliant.
The problem I've got is that the power cord has been cut and is about 4 inches long.

So the question I ask is will a cable/recoil mechanism for another cylinder model fit a DC11???

Also, any advice on changing the recoil mechanism would be very welcome as I usually only play with older uprights.

Thanks in advance,

SW

The cable rewind from the DC08 will also fit the DC11  :thumbsup:

I would say dismantling one of these is easier than an upright if you've already done one of those - there are 2 screws hidden under each wheel that you will need to undo but other than pulling the wheels off to undo these, the body separates fairly easily to expose the motor and cable rewind assembly.

Good luck!

Offline nightsee

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:47:01 am »
My DC11 cord does not rewind without a lot of help feeding the cord in.
When you say pulling the wheels off, do you mean literally pulling without releasing something?
It feels like something will break.
Is there a secret to getting the wheels off?

Thanks for any tips,

Ralph

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 11:40:40 pm »
My DC11 cord does not rewind without a lot of help feeding the cord in.
When you say pulling the wheels off, do you mean literally pulling without releasing something?
It feels like something will break.
Is there a secret to getting the wheels off?

Thanks for any tips,

Ralph

Quite literally pull and the wheels pop off. That said, it takes a fair tug - hold the body tightly with one hand and slide your fingers behind the wheel and pull. It will go all of a sudden so be ready.

The other option is to lever off with a screwdriver but you need to be careful so you don't go snapping bits of plastic. Slide a screwdriver 3-4 inches behind the wheel and a good strong push offwards.

I favour the screwdriver option personally!

Offline nightsee

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:15:28 am »
Thanks Russ,

A screwdriver worked great - pushed down behind the wheel to near the hub and pried the hub outward.  POP! it's off.  Removed the other wheel, removed a few screws, and the inside is all there.

It sure helps to know when applying some pressure is OK.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration