The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC08 Tripping RCD  (Read 5331 times)

Offline djpdyson

DC08 Tripping RCD
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:47 pm »
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help me here.  I have a DC08 that works fine, but immediately trips the main RCD for the house (not just the MCB for the sockets it is in) only on a certain circuit.  If I use sockets on a different circuit in the house, it's absolutely fine.

Is the DC08 the symptom that something on that circuit is wrong with the wiring, or is there an issue with the DC08 that is causing the trip?  If it's the Dyson, I can't see why it would trip only on one circuit.  I can't get the circuit to trip by using another, similarly high wattage device like a hair dryer.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
Thanks, DjP

Offline Jelcoelectrical

Re: DC08 Tripping RCD
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:58:47 pm »
An RCD detects a fault between live and earth, neutral and earth, and thus trips, saving you from a shock, an mcb detects faults between neutral and live and thus trips, saving you're cable from burning out, Rcd's have minutely different sensitivities to tripping (manufacturers etc) but will trip in enough time to prevent you from serious electric shock. If you have a dual rcd board and the Dyson causes only one RCD to trip but not another then I'd get the RCD checked out too (we have passable trip limits based on testing, and they do fail quite often).

I'd say the machine has a dead short on it somewhere and will require further investigation.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration