The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC17 Animal Wiring Diagram  (Read 18096 times)

Offline ktown200421

DC17 Animal Wiring Diagram
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »
I took my dc17 apart the HARD way, not knowing that there was just one screw holding the plate over the post motor filter. When putting it back together I could only get the brush motor to run, and not the vacuum motor. I then tried every combination I could see that was logical To the wire terminals. Now the vacuum motor will work but not the brush. So i took the wiring harness from the top switches all the way to the motor to see if i could figure it out that way, which didnt work either. As you can tell from just that description I have a pile of rubbish laying in the floor until I can get some assistance from somewhere to help me figure this thing out. I finally found someone (you/ your website) that is willing to help, i also joined your dyson forum. If you could help me out i was needing a diagram from the main switches, all the way down to the motor. They dont have to be technical or anything, I just need to know which color wire goes to which terminal

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
Re: DC17 Animal Wiring Diagram
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:32 am »
The closest thing I can find in what we have is the exploded diagram attached, which probably isn't too helpful.

As the DC17 is not a UK model, I am hoping it will be the same as many of the dual switch UK models. I am seeing from the attached diagram you have three switches, one will be for the motor, one for the brush bar and one is a reset switch? (Numbers 42 and 45 on the diagram). What colours are the wires that feed the two switches? The reset switch should have its own little loom.

Hopefully, the chap here from Vacuum Cleaner House in SA will have one in his workshop and may be able to give you a faster answer.
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline Vacuum Cleaner House

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:19:02 am »
Hi Ktown

What did you do !!!!! ;)
I had one of these in my workshop for a conversion from 110volt to 220 volt it was the most frustraighting dyson I.ve ever worked on .

I did make a drawing of the wiring but I must try to find it ( just moved my workshop)
Could you take a picture of your wiring diagram and post it.

Did you check that the wires are connected to the small switch that swithches the brush off when the machine is in the upright position?
Owner of Vacuum Cleaner House, Full service vacuum shop in Cape Town South Africa

Offline ktown200421

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:43 am »
 :'( I didn't know that there was a cover over the post filter. So I started from the bottom & just started unscrewing until I made it to the filter, which after undoing another.screw after getting to the motor, and the popped off to expose the filter. Wasn't paying attention when I undid the wires on the motor, when assembling the bar would turn,but vac motor wouldn't, now its the other way around.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »
Hi
I think your problem may lie in the switch assembly.
I will post the diagram a little later today.
Do you have a circuit tester ?
Owner of Vacuum Cleaner House, Full service vacuum shop in Cape Town South Africa

Offline ktown200421

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46:03 am »
Yes I do have a circuit tester. I have taken all wires from vac so need all info you have

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:07:47 pm »
What colours are the wires that feed the two switches? How many do you have? Four?
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:19 pm »
Hi haveing some trouble with my scanner so I have not been able to scan in the diagram.
Will get new scanner tomorrow and then scan it inn.
I think you may have gotten the wires in the switch box mixed up .
You should have two wires that run to the brush motor(These are normally very thin and red in colour)  and two that run to the vac motor.

Offline ktown200421

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 06:39:06 am »
 :bow:
Thank you, and im really Sry that you have to go to the trouble, and expense to buy a new scanner just so I can repair my dumb mistake. If it would be well enough you may just be able to take a picture with your phone. There's no hurry, but would like to get it reassembled. Got a new Oreck, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, though I do like it except the fact it still requires bags. But when you get a chance I would greatly appreciate that wiring info. The 30 day trial is up on the 26th, so if we can get it before then I'll take this oversized prehistoric bagging contraption back.

Offline ktown200421

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 06:42:39 am »
 :tiphat:
The wire colors are red, white, and black. There's 1 white, 2 reds, and 2 black that are feeding the switches.

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:03:07 pm »
:tiphat:
The wire colors are red, white, and black. There's 1 white, 2 reds, and 2 black that are feeding the switches.

And you have two switches with two prongs each there? And a little reset button nearby?

Offline ktown200421

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »
Yes, there are two switches, one which is power, the other for the beater bar, and a reset button. Reset switch I guess is always pressed when on so that it makes a closed circuit, then depressed to turn of brushes

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram