The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Please help me identify and re-install mystery part DC 17 US  (Read 5368 times)

Offline srockgibson

Please help me identify and re-install mystery part DC 17 US
« on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:54 pm »
I have a DC17 US.  Yesterday the suction stopped, so I removed the cover housing for the switches, to see if I needed to replace a switch.  Turns out it was just thermal overload and it reset itself.  I replaced the cover housing and it is working fine.

However, when I removed the switch cover housing a small white plastic piece fell out.  I couldn't figure out how the white piece was required for reassembly, so I was able to replace everything else properly and both switches work fine.  However, now I have an extra white piece.

See attached picture.  Can you tell me what this piece is supposed to do and how to include it in reassembly of the switch cover?  It looks to be that it might be meant to interlink the two switch push button, but without a photo of how it does that . . . I am lost.  Any photos would be most appreciated. 

Thanks so much

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: Please help me identify and re-install mystery part DC 17 US
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:53 pm »
I have a DC17 US.  Yesterday the suction stopped, so I removed the cover housing for the switches, to see if I needed to replace a switch.  Turns out it was just thermal overload and it reset itself.  I replaced the cover housing and it is working fine.

However, when I removed the switch cover housing a small white plastic piece fell out.  I couldn't figure out how the white piece was required for reassembly, so I was able to replace everything else properly and both switches work fine.  However, now I have an extra white piece.

See attached picture.  Can you tell me what this piece is supposed to do and how to include it in reassembly of the switch cover?  It looks to be that it might be meant to interlink the two switch push button, but without a photo of how it does that . . . I am lost.  Any photos would be most appreciated. 

Thanks so much

It's the brushbar reset arm and number 46 on the 3rd exploded diagram on here - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,50.0.html

There should also be a small spring and it locates underneath the switch covers as you thought. I believe it's similar to the DC25 swich assembly and if you use the zoom feature you can see how it fits here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dyson-DC25-switch-assembly-cover-/230894875566?pt=UK_Vacuum_Cleaner_Bags_Parts&hash=item35c26833ae (sorry best photo I could find to demonstrate).

Offline srockgibson

Re: Please help me identify and re-install mystery part DC 17 US
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:27:40 pm »
Wow.  Thanks a million.  That's exactly the info I needed.  The zoom on that Ebay pix worked great.  Now to go to my work area and find that spring!

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration