The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Spring loaded valve in DC07 pre moter filter cover  (Read 5961 times)

Offline jonsox

Spring loaded valve in DC07 pre moter filter cover
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:26:18 pm »
Hi,
    I wonder could anyone please explain the function of the spring loaded valve in the centre of the DC07 (non clutch) pre motor filter housing?  We also have a DC14 (with clutch)  and this machine, although very similar does not have this valve. What happens if this valve is broken/missing?
                                                                      Thanks
                                                                            John

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: Spring loaded valve in DC07 pre moter filter cover
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:49:26 pm »
Hi,
    I wonder could anyone please explain the function of the spring loaded valve in the centre of the DC07 (non clutch) pre motor filter housing?  We also have a DC14 (with clutch)  and this machine, although very similar does not have this valve. What happens if this valve is broken/missing?
                                                                      Thanks
                                                                            John

It's a pressure release valve that's designed to help save the motor if/when there is a blockage.

It's located on the top of the cyclone handle on the DC14 - does the same job, just situated in a different place!

Offline jonsox

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:49:46 am »
Hi Russ,
  Thanks very much for your reply......I guessed it might be something of the sort but good to know for sure. The DC14 also does not appear to have a filter in the similar housing on the side of the motor as per the DC07?......I guess it is replaced by the one on the top of the cyclone?..... So if this valve is faulty on a DC07 I guess there would be a loss of suction.....The one in a DC07 I was having a look at for a friend is broken... i.e. two of the retaining clips are broken so the spring could easily push the black plastic retainer out...... so I guess I will replace the complete filter housing & valve assembly?
                              Thanks very much for your help
                                                         John

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:31 am »
Hi Russ,
  Thanks very much for your reply......I guessed it might be something of the sort but good to know for sure. The DC14 also does not appear to have a filter in the similar housing on the side of the motor as per the DC07?......I guess it is replaced by the one on the top of the cyclone?..... So if this valve is faulty on a DC07 I guess there would be a loss of suction.....The one in a DC07 I was having a look at for a friend is broken... i.e. two of the retaining clips are broken so the spring could easily push the black plastic retainer out...... so I guess I will replace the complete filter housing & valve assembly?
                              Thanks very much for your help
                                                         John

No problem at all - that's right, the filter is relocated to the top of the cyclone on the DC14 and the housing where it would be situated on the DC07 remains empty.

For the sake of a fiver delivered from the good people at MVacs, I would say replace it. The spring needs to press the valve up tight against the housing otherwise it won't seal and if that doesn't happen, yes there would be a loss in suction.

Offline jonsox

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
Hi Russ,
   Thanks very much.......will certainly replace the filter housing and valve....will let you know the result
                                                      Thanks & regards
                                                                John

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram