The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: How can I get the switch cover off my dc25?  (Read 19263 times)

Offline AFDS

How can I get the switch cover off my dc25?
« on: January 16, 2012, 09:40:28 am »
My dc25 just stopped.  I spaced, and stepped on the cord with my left heal and pushed the vac forward and to the right, and when the slack ran out, it stopped.  It wasn't a very hard tug.  I thought I pulled the end out of the outlet, but it was still plugged in.  I tried other outlets.  It was dead. :censored:

So I thought I pulled the cord ends loose on the inside.  I'll just open her up and check the end of the power cord, right?  Now I can't get the "switch cover" off to look at the connections.  I took the three screws off and still feel like I'm breaking it. :'(  I have the buttons and springs in a pile but no idea how to get them back in, if I can't fully remove the "switch cover".  I see the exploded views, but no picture of the underside of the cover, nor actual step-by-step on how to replace the power cord.  Does anyone have any experience with this, or ANY idea?

Offline AFDS

Re: How can I get the switch cover off my dc25?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »
Never mind.  I gave up and took it to a pro today.  It's funny how easy it is to take apart up until that point.  The guy took one look at the switch cover and said "yup, that's a real pain in the a*#."

It was helpful looking over this forum.  Thanks :thumbsup:

Offline lroverv8

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:52 pm »
Sorry you had to take it to a pro!  You just pull out & up. Yes it is a bit tight but it will come off, goes back in reverse order.  Hope you didn't spend a lot of $$$

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »
Never mind.  I gave up and took it to a pro today.  It's funny how easy it is to take apart up until that point.  The guy took one look at the switch cover and said "yup, that's a real pain in the a*#."

It was helpful looking over this forum.  Thanks :thumbsup:

I've just had to remove one too, bit of a fiddle but with some gentle persuasion it came off! :grinn:

Offline AFDS

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:32:31 pm »
Thank you for the help.:thumbsup:  The guy put it back together for $20.  It would be cool if someone would put a video of a switch cover being removed.  I was sure it was going to break it.
Thanks again!

Offline yourlefthand

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:04:10 am »
I found a cool hint at http://www.fixya.com/support/t7785183-trying_remove

Replace the two bottom screws but don't tighten up just a few turns in will do, then using the screwdriver push firmly each screw and this will release the lower part of the cover hope this helps.

Offline Fboar

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:00:30 am »
This trick worked for the DC18 switch cover. The crazy thing is that when the cover is off, I could not see what was holding it on. The DC18 is fixed and my wife is happy.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration