The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: No Power to the Cleaner Head on a DC25?  (Read 113857 times)

Offline jryan01

Re: No Power to the Cleaner Head on a DC25?
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 12:43:47 am »
This is the part...maybe not the spool?

Offline jryan01

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2019, 12:45:15 am »
I meant the loom...sorry

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2019, 10:52:47 am »
It will most certainly be the yoke assy loom as stuart linked to.
Whole yoke assy needs to be removed and the loom assy replaced, it separates from the big yoke.
If you have never done one then it is advisable to take some pics of the wiring on the rhs.
Also check the balls plastic floating bearing when stripping as they can be near the end of their life, if so replace it whilst in bits.

Don't even bother trying to repair the loom, it will fail again.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Charlie3110

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2021, 04:38:51 pm »
The wiring loom that you say may need replacing before checking switches and motors, where is it. Difficult to see from your upside down photo?
Thanks

Offline Charlie3110

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2021, 11:35:41 am »
Solved thank you. One of the terminals had come loose

Offline myrtle

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2022, 06:57:43 pm »
Thanks for this. After tripping my DC25 I found exactly what you showed - a broken white lead from the microswitch. I fixed it with a small insert of extra wire, but will be back for a replacement loom if (- when...) it goes again.

And thanks too for all the advice on vacuum cleaners in general. I'll definitely be looking at SEBO now.

Offline colonel_splaffy

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2022, 11:11:47 pm »
I am trying to follow all amazing advice on this forum to get my Dyson brushbar working again. I have found that there seems to be continuity across the yoke assembley loom thingy cables to the output, so that seems fine. The little red reset switch also seems to have continuity, as does the brush button itself. So I was assuming that these switches are okay if they have continuity? But when I check the voltage going from the terminal from the machine into the head there doesn't seem to be any. So I am a bit stuck as the advice seems to be the yoke loom or the switches that seem to cause the problem. Any advice? Sorry if I have missed something that has been explained already! Thanks for all the help so far from previous posts!

Offline macman

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2022, 12:44:08 pm »
When you checked the voltage at the head terminals, did you have the machine running and the handle reclined? Power is only applied to the head when the machine is reclined.

Offline colonel_splaffy

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2022, 06:54:38 pm »
When you checked the voltage at the head terminals, did you have the machine running and the handle reclined? Power is only applied to the head when the machine is reclined.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did have it running and the machine reclined. I also tried the rest switch and the brush on/off switch a few times.

Offline colonel_splaffy

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 02:53:33 pm »
Anyone got any other thoughts or ideas as to what my problem could be, or am I some weird outlier?!

Offline colonel_splaffy

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 09:49:11 pm »
Anyone got any other thoughts or ideas as to what my problem could be, or am I some weird outlier?!

As an update, I had the machine reclined but there is a switch on the side with a little metal strip that needs to go down when the machine is reclined, this had slide out a bit because I had the cover off to where the yoke loom assembley is so although it was reclined the recline switch had not been activated. I have now got a normal power reading across the terminals on the machine that go to the head! I guess the problem must be with the head itself!

Offline colonel_splaffy

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 10:15:26 pm »
I have found that although the reset switch was showing continuity that was only because I must have already pressed it. The motor actually went again for a short time when I started, but only goes briefly and then trips again. I don't know if that just means that the problem is with the reset switch. Will try bypassing or replacing it and see if that solve it.

Offline ryevac

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2022, 03:15:50 pm »
reset switches do fail, but in your case i would suspect the head motor is at fault if the reset is tripping.
The body of the switch( if it's the white version) may be browned and will smell baked.
Bypassing the reset switch may prove a point but you could end up destroying the rectifier / pcb in the head assy as the motor runs, draws excessive current with no protection.

You have a voltage 230v at the head terminals so presume the yoke cable is ok, these can go open circuit intermittently - but that will not cause the reset to trip.
Replace the head motor, it's a consumable part and they all fail - not hard to do other than being a little fiddly, stu posted a video on it in the dc25 department.

Offline colonel_splaffy

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2022, 11:25:11 pm »
reset switches do fail, but in your case i would suspect the head motor is at fault if the reset is tripping.
The body of the switch( if it's the white version) may be browned and will smell baked.
Bypassing the reset switch may prove a point but you could end up destroying the rectifier / pcb in the head assy as the motor runs, draws excessive current with no protection.

You have a voltage 230v at the head terminals so presume the yoke cable is ok, these can go open circuit intermittently - but that will not cause the reset to trip.
Replace the head motor, it's a consumable part and they all fail - not hard to do other than being a little fiddly, stu posted a video on it in the dc25 department.

Thanks so much for the advice. I saw a post about bypassing the reset switch and didn't know if that was okay, I now realise there is more to it than that. I did actually do the bypass before seeing your post and had a satisfying vacuuming session, seemed to work well but not a long term fix it sounds like. I will look to order a new motor then!

Offline ryevac

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2022, 12:50:09 am »
Aye ok, it could be the reset switch, but it's normally the motor that damages the switch i found.
The logical method is to replace the cheaper reset switch first, if it still trips then change motor too.
Chicken and egg situation, belt n braces = replace both imo.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram