Dyson Models > Cylinder & Canister Dysons

Fitting a late type motor to a DC02.

(1/3) > >>

Dyson Tech:
This is a question we have been asked a few times recently, so I wanted to put some information here on it.

The original DC02 motors 911929-01 YV500-3 and 901827-03 YV510 are no longer available.

We sell an alternative motor that will fit the DC02 here: >>DC02 Motor<<.

We do say this there:

--- Quote ---DC02 (It's a tight squeeze, but this motor will fit your DC02 - and no other is available any more)
--- End quote ---

Exactly how to do that is what I need to clarify.

The base of the replacement motor is slightly larger than the original. The rubber on the DC02 has some fins on it. The trick is when you refit the bottom rubber and come to insert it in the machine, the motor needs to be twisted against the rubber so the fins bend a little at the point they contact the machine casing.

Having done that, the new motor will then sit correctly and tightly in the chassis of the machine like so:

If you have done it correctly, the machine will then close up properly.

There is no need to force it to the point of breaking anything. Although, it will take some enthusiasm as it is a very snug fit. Sometimes you need to grind a little off the motor retainer in order that it clears the thermal cut out on the new motor.

From time to time, people who have bought a motor for a DC02 get back in touch and say it doesn't fit. It does - as you can see above. Rather than have to try and explain it on the phone over and over, I thought I would put a quick tutorial.

Feel free to ask any questions here in case of need.

Tech12:
Excellent tip, thank you.

PaulWiffen:
Thank you for excellent service. As you say twist and squish rubber. Make sure motor retainer fits close to the front of the motor, I ground a bit off to clear thermal cut out. Mind you don't trap wires, there are two small cut outs in wall between reeling drum compartment to motor compartment. I removed both wheel, a little difficult to get off but easy to replace and cut off moulded on plug before starting. I now expect my 1996 DC02 to last another 18 years.

MVacs:

--- Quote from: PaulWiffen on September 06, 2014, 04:14:51 pm ---Thank you for excellent service. As you say twist and squish rubber. Make sure motor retainer fits close to the front of the motor, I ground a bit off to clear thermal cut out. Mind you don't trap wires, there are two small cut outs in wall between reeling drum compartment to motor compartment. I removed both wheel, a little difficult to get off but easy to replace and cut off moulded on plug before starting. I now expect my 1996 DC02 to last another 18 years.

--- End quote ---

Great feedback Paul, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Are you the chap who came in the shop this morning?

PaulWiffen:
No I have not visited you, I live in Wiltshire.
Paul Wiffen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version