The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
After this, it all went a bit quiet, as Dorian said he was going to be driving past my house in the near future, so could collect! So I embargoed the whole thing, and kept quiet until the day arrived!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qgJxjhnsk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qgJxjhnsk</a>

Was fantastic to meet Dorian, truly amazing bloke! He seemed quite impressed with the Junior too, we fitted the bag and gave it a good spin!

Then he did a more fuller 'After' video a few days later

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnsLlqQx_a0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnsLlqQx_a0</a>

Need to get some nice after images off him to round off this thread, but meh! Was a very enjoyable restoration to do, and Dorian is happy, which is the main thing!

And the vacuum didn't turn out too bad either!
2
Rear wheels next

ila_rendered

Which were a bit cleaner

ila_rendered

Then to the cable, and Dorian gave me a massive roll of new flex, so he could use it without having to change plugs so often

ila_rendered

Lazy, but I fitted it anyway, and it saved me cleaning the cable up!

ila_rendered

With the cable fitted to the motor, the wiring cover can go on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The lower handle can go on and the wire fed up



Then the upper handle and more wire feeding

ila_rendered

Then it was on with the first of many layers of wax to lush the shine up

ila_rendered
3
I fitted a new belt and popped the belt cover on

ila_rendered

Then fitted the baseplate

ila_rendered

A new bulb was needed, and luckily I had a podgy round one in my stash!

ila_rendered

The lens cover can then be fitted

ila_rendered

And a screw that ever so nearly perfectly fits to hold it in!

ila_rendered

That's a bit better, bit more shiney...

ila_rendered

Handle bail goes back together with it's new shell

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And fitted to the cleaner

ila_rendered
4
Time to fill a hole!

ila_rendered

Wire the switch up

ila_rendered

I then had an 'Oh Sh!t' moment as I remembered I had not made a hole for the lens wiring... So out with the drill

ila_rendered

And the purple cable guard snaps into place

ila_rendered

Smear of silicone on both ends to seal it up, and the bulb holder and wires can be fitted

ila_rendered

And wired up

ila_rendered

Brushroll now!

ila_rendered

Nice new bearings

ila_rendered

And lovely!

ila_rendered
5
And fitted

ila_rendered

Switch now

ila_rendered

Cable protectors fitted

ila_rendered

And the switch can be clipped into place

ila_rendered

Metal spring

ila_rendered

Switch cover

ila_rendered

And the plastic peg

ila_rendered

Bumper on now

ila_rendered

Then the cable exit grommit can go in

ila_rendered
6
Now I've never actually had a U1040 apart before, let alone back together and whilst everything else is standard junior fare, this was not. Luckily, I happen to have a service manual! (scan is on my blog if anyone needs it!)

ila_rendered

I also replaced the perished rubber seal on the bag flange with a nice layer of silicone

ila_rendered

And moved onto assembling the lens

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then I pushed the metal bush back in for the lens screw, and popped a small dribble of glue around the edges, which capilliaried in nicely

ila_rendered

We have this now

ila_rendered

Time to pop the front wheels together

ila_rendered

Which look a bit cleaner

ila_rendered
7
Because we are going from newer style carbon brush holders to older style ones, and the connector snapped off we need to pop a ring terminal on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then pop the cover on

ila_rendered

Fit the short wires that replace the supressor run

ila_rendered

Then grab the dried plastics (and cured hood)

ila_rendered

Lay it out a bit

ila_rendered

And give it a small tickle with the rotary polisher!

Then onto re-assembly, starting with the height adjustment knob

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
8
Pop the front bearing off

ila_rendered

And it's nearly done!

ila_rendered

I just forgot the bag fill tube!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

There!

All was washed and dried, and I tickled the metalwork with the wire brush

ila_rendered

And gave the brushroll a blow over with new paint

ila_rendered

Time to re-assemble, so first, a nice bead of almost gone too hard tigerseal on the hood

ila_rendered

The firewall was fitted and screwed down and left to cure whilst I got on with other stuff

ila_rendered

Mainly throwing the motor back together! I fitted a new front bearing as the old one didn't clean up very well, and just oiled the rear one

ila_rendered
9
Off with the screws

ila_rendered

And off with the cover

ila_rendered

To reveal this!



Rear bearing clamp off first

ila_rendered

Then the front bearing clamp, and supressor screws and out t all pops!

ila_rendered

Front bearing clamp had a nice compacted layer of dirt under it

ila_rendered

Carbon holders out

ila_rendered

Coil off the armature

ila_rendered

Fan off

ila_rendered
10
Back to the original vac now, and the headlight lens screw snapped on Dorian when he tried to get it off, so I removed the metal bush

ila_rendered

and the remains of the rusty screw

ila_rendered

With careful application of some massive pliers the rusty stub did unscrew from the bush

ila_rendered

This meant I could strip the headlight down

ila_rendered

2 screws inside to hold the lens on

ila_rendered

and done!

ila_rendered

Motor now, as I only got it running, not fettled!

Not many wires left on it now

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Top carbon is good

ila_rendered
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

 

Dyson Spare Parts

 

 

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

 

 

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

 

 

 

 

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram